Pick up north London design and craft at Marylebone’s Made London
- Credit: Archant
Camden craft and design event Made London presents an excellent opportunity to pick up hand made items which will add a personal touch to your home.
Held this weekend at One Marylebone, a Sir John Soane church near Regent’s Park, the fair plays host to several north London-based makers showcasing wares from ceramics and glassware to textiles.
Local names to look out for include Sophie MacCarthy, a ceramicist who produces colourful slip-painted earthenware in her Stoke Newington studio.
“My work is domestic, functional and all usable but highly decorative so it’s a bit special. It’s not entirely utilitarian,” she says.
Fellow ceramicist, Crouch End-based Kerry Hastings creates hand built or thrown pieces, which combine traditional techniques with contemporary colour combinations.
Her lustred bowls are particularly appealing and use 24 carat gold and platinum lustre alongside matt pigments on the exterior of the pieces.
Like Hastings, Annette Bugansky has a studio at Cockpit Arts in Holborn where she works on her hybrid textile-ceramic pieces.
You may also want to watch:
“I hand knit all the textures, then add the little knitted clothes to plaster shapes,” she says. “I then make a plaster mould of these then slip cast the porcelain inside this. It’s the only way of getting the knitting itself in a positive image.”
Hackney lighting and glassware makers Vezzini & Chen will be launching a new range of ceramic and glass candle holders at the fair.
Their handmade products are “inspired by the structure and geometry of natural forms” and are made with fine bone china and glass, which gives a textured diffused light.
- 1 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 2 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 3 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 4 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 5 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 6 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 7 Barnet Council called in bailiffs over non-existent council tax bill
- 8 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 9 Parliament Hill viewpoint works delayed by nesting birds
- 10 Letter on shopping for one!