Nothing shocks this Highgate-based estate agent anymore
- Credit: Archant
Charlotte Bourne of Taylor Gibbs is a north London woman through and through who would be on stage if she wasn’t an estate agent
What’s special about your agency?
We are an independent, family run business, with family based ethics. All of our staff have a real feeling of responsibility towards giving our customers excellent, personal service. We have been renting and selling property in Highgate for over 25 years.
Where do you live and with whom?
I live in Finchley with my gorgeous feline friend.
You may also want to watch:
Why did you buy your current property? What’s your favourite thing about it?
It was, literally, love at first sight. I was the first to view this particular property and I offered the full asking price on the spot. As I walked in the front door I realised that it was the one. It had its own entrance, beautiful high ceilings with cornicing, a fire place and original Victorian black and white floor tiles – and that was just the hallway.
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 Column: Major changes expected at Tottenham in the summer?
- 5 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 6 Optimism as Crouch End and Muswell Hill shops, bars and cafes reopen
- 7 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 8 For sale: Edwardian home in East Finchley with south-facing garden
- 9 Mary Feilding Guild: Warning of severe health impact on elderly residents
- 10 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
If you weren’t an estate agent what would you be?
That is a difficult question. I really enjoy making people happy so perhaps being on stage, making people laugh for a living.
When did you buy your first property and what was it like?
The first property I bought is the one I currently own, bought in 2006.
What’s your dream house?
When I was a kid I used to drive past a house that I loved on Totteridge Lane every day. It had a thatched roof and looked almost haunted. That was my dream house for many years. My dream house now would be a neglected Victorian detached house that I could restore back to its original glory. I am passionate about original features, high ceilings and uneven wooden floors. As long as I am in north London I would be happy, as there’s no better place to be.
What’s the most shocking/surprising thing you’ve seen on the job?
After doing this job for the amount of time I have been doing it nothing shocks or surprises me anymore!
In what ways has the north London property market changed since you started out?
The prices! North London is a safe place to buy. In the years that I have been working in the property industry prices in Highgate have gone up then stabilised then gone up again and levelled out. Also, the availability of mortgage lending for buyers has tightened up beyond recognition. It just seems as though it is getting harder and harder to convince lenders to let go of their money.
What are your top tips for things to do in north London?
In general, north London has great pubs, parks and restaurants. In fact we have the best of everything right here on our doorstep. In Highgate specifically there are plenty of fantastic outside spaces including Hampstead Heath and Waterlow Park. Take a bottle of wine to Hampstead Heath, overlooking Parliament Hill running track on a lovely summer evening. The views of London are amazing.