My Little Black Book: Alijoe Designs
- Credit: Archant
Alijoe Designs’ Debbie Carne designs upcycled, vintage-inspired plates, so where does the Highgate creative go for a little inspiration?
Debbie Carne designs witty and whimsical upcycled plates sourced from the charity shops and Aladdin’s caves of Hampstead and Highgate, so where does the creative find her inspiration?
Best for culture
I love a good movie in a great cinema and we are spoilt for choice with both an Everyman and Picturehouse cinema in walking distance.
And theatre - Downstairs at The Hampstead Theatre is a brilliant initiative with some great productions for very little outlay.
You may also want to watch:
Best for gift shopping
Highgate Flowers is a fabulous addition to the Shepherds Hill end of Archway Road. Not only is Rachel lovely and a wonderful florist, but the shop looks and smells glorious. (And its not just flowers - I have found some gorgeous pots there too)
- 1 Rabindranath Tagore's Hampstead home on the market for £2.65m
- 2 Artist who captures North London's 'special light'
- 3 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 4 Hampstead house ravaged by early morning blaze
- 5 'It's madness': Queues block north London roads amid petrol shortage
- 6 Pure Gym to open in Crouch End
- 7 Haverstock Hill petrol station 'assault' arrest as motorists queue for fuel
- 8 Man charged with Haringey murder and victim named
- 9 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 10 Meet the entrepreneur helping Londoners find the cool dining spots
Best for inspiration
Inspiration can strike anywhere and at anytime but if I’m looking for it, wandering the streets, visiting the V & A and local galleries, such as Jealous in Crouch End, are all wonderful sources.
Best for supplies
Thank goodness for our local store, Highgate Stationers! The name misleads - it is an Aladdin’s cave of anything and everything you could ever find yourself in need of.
Best for me time
Every couple of weeks or so, you can find me rummaging in the charity shops of Crouch End and Muswell Hill in search of plates. It is something I love to do and will walk to one or both and invariably include a delicious coffee stop at Coffee Circus or Flesh and Flour, depending on where I am.
Best for a bite
I love our local Pain Quotidien in Highgate Village - it is smaller than many, in a lovely building, with a pretty, and very secluded ‘secret’ garden at the back.
Best for family time
My boys are 25 and 23 so time together is quite rare these days. But when we do get the opportunity, a walk across the Heath, perhaps stopping at Kenwood House to look at the paintings and have a coffee, is hard to beat.
Best for ice cream
An occasional treat on a walk to Hampstead will be a stop at Venchi Cioccolato - chocolate ice cream to die for!
Best for home made cinnamon buns
My husband thought he’d died and gone to Heaven when we stumbled across these at the charming Ruby Rose Cafe in Crouch End. Who would have thought? Luckily, they aren’t open every day.