My Little Black Book: Alijoe Designs
- Credit: Archant
Alijoe Designs’ Debbie Carne designs upcycled, vintage-inspired plates, so where does the Highgate creative go for a little inspiration?
Debbie Carne designs witty and whimsical upcycled plates sourced from the charity shops and Aladdin’s caves of Hampstead and Highgate, so where does the creative find her inspiration?
Best for culture
I love a good movie in a great cinema and we are spoilt for choice with both an Everyman and Picturehouse cinema in walking distance.
And theatre - Downstairs at The Hampstead Theatre is a brilliant initiative with some great productions for very little outlay.
Best for gift shopping
Highgate Flowers is a fabulous addition to the Shepherds Hill end of Archway Road. Not only is Rachel lovely and a wonderful florist, but the shop looks and smells glorious. (And its not just flowers - I have found some gorgeous pots there too)
- 1 Free beach returns to Finchley Road for the summer
- 2 Fences and padlocks at Primrose Hill once again
- 3 Royal Free denies allowing Tory MP to influence medical decision
- 4 George Michael's Highgate piano to be auctioned off
- 5 Crouch End Festival: 'Back with a bang bigger than ever'
- 6 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 7 'Do the right thing': Locket containing baby's ashes stolen from car
- 8 Bow Lock murder: Victim's two girlfriends give evidence at Old Bailey
- 9 'Gabriels stun Koko – superstardom seems inevitable'
- 10 Fans pray for Bosco 'and his big stick' as he goes into surgery
Best for inspiration
Inspiration can strike anywhere and at anytime but if I’m looking for it, wandering the streets, visiting the V & A and local galleries, such as Jealous in Crouch End, are all wonderful sources.
Best for supplies
Thank goodness for our local store, Highgate Stationers! The name misleads - it is an Aladdin’s cave of anything and everything you could ever find yourself in need of.
Best for me time
Every couple of weeks or so, you can find me rummaging in the charity shops of Crouch End and Muswell Hill in search of plates. It is something I love to do and will walk to one or both and invariably include a delicious coffee stop at Coffee Circus or Flesh and Flour, depending on where I am.
Best for a bite
I love our local Pain Quotidien in Highgate Village - it is smaller than many, in a lovely building, with a pretty, and very secluded ‘secret’ garden at the back.
Best for family time
My boys are 25 and 23 so time together is quite rare these days. But when we do get the opportunity, a walk across the Heath, perhaps stopping at Kenwood House to look at the paintings and have a coffee, is hard to beat.
Best for ice cream
An occasional treat on a walk to Hampstead will be a stop at Venchi Cioccolato - chocolate ice cream to die for!
Best for home made cinnamon buns
My husband thought he’d died and gone to Heaven when we stumbled across these at the charming Ruby Rose Cafe in Crouch End. Who would have thought? Luckily, they aren’t open every day.