Madness’ iconic ‘Our House’ property sold after 33 years
- Credit: Archant
Three decades after featuring in the Camden band’s 1982 music video, ‘Our House’ goes on the market
The property has only just been listed, but it has already been snapped up. The two-bedroom terraced house in Northwest London was sold for £565,000– and the good humour of the seller may have played a large part in the quick deal.
Madness, the legendary ska band from Camden Town, was one of the most prominent bands in the late 1970s and early 1980s, with 15 singles in the UK top ten including ‘Our House’, which became their biggest international hit.
The 1982 music video famously takes place in a Victorian terraced house, where Suggs and co are seen playing their instruments in the living room. Now, 33 years later, the house has been put on the market.
Helped by the property’s rich cultural history, the current owner drafted a unique listing– with all the lyricism and musical references required. “Welcome to our ‘House of Fun’, a fantastic family home with a perfect blend of modern and traditional features throughout,” the listing begins, “It is ‘One Step Beyond’ the norm for the area.”
“Early viewings are recommended to avoid ‘Embarrassment’, with initial feedback is that this one won’t be around long and that when you’ve seen it once, you’ll be ‘Lovestruck’, and you will no longer need to ‘Keep Moving’.
“We hope you’ll want to make ‘Our House’, your house.”
- 1 Police called to 'youth with knife trying to climb school gates'
- 2 Alexandra Palace: 2 hospitalised in Red Bull's Soapbox Race
- 3 Jailed: 9 north London offenders put behind bars in June
- 4 Night-time fishing suspended at Vale of Health following 'antisocial behaviour'
- 5 Covid: North London hospital admissions rising amid national surge
- 6 Elvis Presley songwriter and former Ham&High columnist dies aged 82
- 7 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 8 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 9 Father's fear autistic son will 'dive through' window of unsafe West Hampstead home
- 10 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
Simon Rosenfeld, Local Property Expert for Purplebricks, comments, “Not only is it a great price, but it’s got a great story, with strong heritage. More sellers are bringing personality to their listings, and this is a great example of someone fully embracing that ethos.”
Read the full listing below:
“Welcome to our ‘House of Fun’, a fantastic family home with a perfect blend of modern and traditional features throughout. Located on Stephenson Street in Willesden, it is ‘One Step Beyond’ the norm for the area, briefly comprising of open plan living/dining room, two good sized bedrooms, a family bathroom, extended galley kitchen and more than enough room to hang your ‘Baggy Trousers’.
The property benefits from on-road parking if you, like me, enjoy ‘Driving in My Car’ as well as an ample rear terrace/patio.
Early viewings are recommended to avoid ‘Embarrassment’, with initial feedback is that this one won’t be around long and that when you’ve seen it once, you’ll be ‘Lovestruck’, and you will no longer need to ‘Keep Moving’.
We hope you’ll want to make ‘Our House’, your house.”