Little birds flying the nest? Pack them off to uni in style with our top tips
- Credit: PA Photo/Handout
Top interiors tips for sending your kids off to university in style this September
Congratulations, they’ve made the grade and are heading to university. But before they step foot in their halls of residence, your first project has already been assigned: How to make those digs look stylish, practical and homely, without packing everything but the kitchen sink.
Well, don’t worry, we’ve done the hard work for you. With a little bit of research, the lesson is you can get more out of your space than you think.
With the right soft furnishings, accessories and basic bits and bobs, style-conscious students will win top marks with our room edit...
1. Large Life is Good Cushion, £8, Be Unique Cushion, £8, Large Peg Black Photo Frame, £12, Grey 6 Piece Desk Storage Set, £10, all from New Beginnings Letter Press Collection, Dunelm
You may also want to watch:
Designed to get you started, this new collection of decorations and desk ware is geared to students and we love the feel-good factor of a stationery box set with some impact.
2. Simple Pendant Light Made For You, from £10.80, Extension Lead Made For You, customised from £5.68 for a plug (depending on colour), to power cable from £11.38 (depending on colour and length), Urban Cottage Industries
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Tottenham boss Mourinho unsure on extent of Harry Kane's injury
- 7 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 8 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 9 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 10 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers
Who would have thought that a drop light bulb and extension lead were both a thing right now. But every space needs a bit of spark and industrial-style lighting.
3. Duvet & Pillow Complete Bedding Set, Single, £19.99, Julian Charles
We all need duvet days and this practical set is ideal for autumn months with a 10.5 tog duvet.
4. Charlcombe Bedspread & Cushion Covers - Fig, Single Bedspread, £90, Medium Square Cushion Cover, £20, The White Company
Dressing the bed with cool neutrals means you can invest in a few bold shades to make a statement and add some personality.
5. Architect 2 Slot Toaster, £85.99, Kit Miles Toaster Panel Packs Biophilia, £24.95, Dualit
The toast of the town, this heavy duty Dualit guarantees evenly browned toast, and with interchangeable designer panel packs, such as blue dragonflies and flora, every slice has extra wow factor.
6. Circular Shelf, £12, Tiger, in-store
Such a simple thing as a shelf can be a stylish storage solution. Especially one as easy to hook up as this circular design, with four shelves to hold some lush leaves and a fun knick-knack.
7. Giant Lego Storage Blocks, Design Colours Bundle, £115.60, Store
We’re never too old to play with Lego, especially when it’s designed for storage. Best of all, you can use the bricks to stack all your precious cargo in before unloading in your new home. A storage bundle includes four large, three medium and one small block in a new range of chic colours.
8. Umbra Vana Organiser - Charcoal, £35, Amara
Chances are, your new bathroom may be so streamlined there’s no room to spend time in front of the mirror. This handy organiser will hold your basic beauty booty.
9. Ben de Lisi Home - Set of Three Cactus Print Tins, £14, Debenhams
It’s not rocket science but tea and coffee are vital ingredients to get the day off to a good start. Keep yours fresh and tidy in these colourful caddies.
10. Hummingbird To Do Pad, £8, Birds in Tree Magazine Rack, £15, Hummingbird A5 Luxury Journal, £16, Sara Miller London
If you’re suffering from writer’s block, these jewel-like hummingbirds could inspire thoughts of a tropical adventure, or just help manage your tasks.
11. Ferm Living Laundry Basket Colour Block, £59, Amara
No one wants to air their dirty washing in public and this generously sized basket with carry handles will comfortably take your weekly wash.
12. Genuine Moleskine and Leuchtturm Personalised Notebooks and Diaries, from £17.76, from a selection, Urban Cottage Industries
Available in a selection of colours and designs, these notebooks can be personalised with your name or other inspiring words or catchphrases, and debossed between the strap and edge of the book.
13. Dinosaur Memo Holder, £12, Natural History Museum Shop
We like to call him Dino, and as well as holding memos, he’s got space for a few pens and pencils to boot.
14. Personalized Mug - I’m Not Lazy, Pink, £9.99, Getting Personal
No matter what’s brewing, everything will taste nicer in your own message mug.
15. Girotondo Small Table Lamps, £58 each, designed by King Kong for Alessi
Cute and original, these little figures provide high efficiency LED technology. Equipped with a rechargeable battery, they can be plugged into the mains or used as portable units. Available from mid-September. Visit Alessi for your nearest stockist.