Kentish Town is so hot right now, according to one Hampstead estate agent
- Credit: Archant
James Diaper of Savills in Hampstead lives with two felines who know how to strike a pose and has a race car driving alter ego
What’s special about your agency?
Our office has been in Hampstead for 27 years now so we have a fantastic understanding of the local market, with about 100 years of combined experience amongst the sales team. This, along with the Savills global reach behind us, means we can give our clients so much more, understanding both the local market and the world’s buyers.
Where do you live and with whom?
I live in Spitalfields with my fiancée Stephanie and our two furry friends Ron and Mouschoir, our model cats.
You may also want to watch:
Why did you buy your current property? What’s your favourite thing about it?
I really wanted something different to the norm, with lots of space to entertain. The apartment is in a Victorian warehouse with high ceilings, just off Limehouse Cut in east London.
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 5 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta echoes players' support for absent Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- 6 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 7 Arsenal face a crucial week as they bid to start pushing on
- 8 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike
- 9 Archway murder investigation launched as 15-year-old victim named
- 10 Police mourn 'devoted' Camden constable who died from Covid
If you weren’t an estate agent what would you be?
A race car driver.
When did you buy your first property and what was it like?
Well technically my first property I bought was in France, with my brother and father. We were staying close to Bergerac with our cousins and after a boozy lunch we ended up buying the local retired headmasters house. 10 years later we are still fixing it up!
What’s your dream house?
It would be a simple big one-bed apartment, but with a garage for at least 10 cars beneath it and maybe a race track in the garden...
How long have you been an estate agent? What’s the most surprising thing you’ve seen on the job?
I’ve worked in this industry for about 10 years, so not much surprises me anymore!
How has the local property market changed since you started out?
The appeal of this area, and the prices, have increased a great deal. I also really enjoy seeing certain areas pick up and gain interest, such as Kentish Town, which is a really hot location right now.
What are your top tips for the local area?
I really wouldn’t survive my day without a ritual flat white from Gail’s. If you want to get to know the area, just explore on foot – but make sure you pick up a sandwich from Ginger & White or a bagel from the deli counter at Hampstead Butcher and Providore before you go.
Are you good at Monopoly?
Of course, although it’s always a bit of a long haul...