Is Hampstead the best place for families? This estate agent certainly thinks so
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Family man Nibs Lakhani loves walks on the Heath with his daughter and serving the generations of Hampstead families that sell with their agency
What’s special about your agency?
One of the special things about Goldschmidt and Howland is that we’ve been in the area for so long. We’ve sold homes for generations of the same families for over 100 years. People will come in to the office and say that their father or grandfather sold their home with us and that’s really special.
Where do you live and with whom?
I live right around the corner in West Hampstead with my wife and our 15 month old daughter.
You may also want to watch:
Why did you buy your current property? What’s your favourite thing about it?
When I bought I couldn’t afford Hampstead, but I could see that West Hampstead was coming up. I love period properties, and my home is in a Mansion Block with great ceiling heights and large rooms.
- 1 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 6 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 7 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 8 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 9 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
If you weren’t an estate agent what would you be?
It would have to be something to do with people. I love connecting with people in my job and I enjoy getting to know them and connecting the right person with the right property, so I’d want to do something similar – maybe sales?
When did you buy your first property and what was it like?
My current home is my first property. Like a typical Indian son I lived with Mum and Dad, enjoying all the free food until I moved out!
What’s your dream house?
My dream house would be in Gainsborough Gardens, preferably something Victorian. It’s the best part of Hampstead, and it’s such a great family area.
How long have you been an estate agent? What’s the most shocking/surprising thing you’ve seen on the job?
I’ve been an estate agent for 13 years. I couldn’t possibly say what the most shocking thing I’ve seen is, but let’s just say we’re always very careful to knock before opening any doors…
How has the local property market changed since you started out?
Obviously it’s got more expensive. In Hampstead people tend to move within the area, but some roads have definitely become smarter over the years. The area itself has become the best place for families to live too.
What are your top tips for the local area?
Obviously the best thing about the area is Hampstead Heath. I love talking my daughter on walks to the ponds to watch the birds.
Are you good at Monopoly?
100 per cent! I’d say I’m pretty good. I make my wife play it with me on the iPad during flights; I think she gets a little frustrated with me!