Interiors: Turn your home into a winter wonderland with these styling tips
- Credit: Archant
Winter’s a time to hunker down, snuggle indoors and enjoy a home whose decor matches the season.
This year, there’s an abundance of chic looks, taking inspiration from the latest interiors trends, which can transform rooms - but divine decor tends to come at a price.
Luckily there’s no need to despair if, with the expense of Christmas looming, money’s tight, and you fear you can’t afford your dream of creating rooms perfect for indulgent hibernating.
Pick one of our three on-trend schemes and either splash out on a full-on luxe interpretation, or get the look for much, much less with some carefully-chosen budget buys.
You may also want to watch:
A dark, moody, monochrome palette, sensual textures and razzle-dazzle metallic touches conjure an opulent, elegant sanctuary.
A subtle change of colour may be all that’s needed to capture the atmosphere of this look - opt for mellow tones like fashionable greys, or muted taupes for a feature wall. Charcoal grey or black upholstery, cashmere and wool throws and cushions, plus decadent chandeliers and the soft light of candles in hurricane lanterns are the rest of the essential elements for a hotel-chic cocoon for winter.
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 4 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 5 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 6 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 7 Watchdog upholds 27 complaints over 'systemic' failures by Haringey Council
- 8 E-scooter rider arrested over suspected drug dealing
- 9 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 10 Helen Allingham's Hampstead watercolour up for auction
What could be more appealing than a log cabin retreat, with wood panelled walls and stripped floors, where you toast your toes in front of a traditional stove? The pure pared-back simplicity of this Scandinavian-inspired style isn’t difficult to evoke, and its colour palette of neutral tones is easy on the eye. Dress up with faux fur and velvet, or dress down with chunky woollen throws and rugs for a more homely feel.
Rich colour, including this season’s star shade; deep blue, teams brilliantly with jewel-bright reds and plums. That colour-combo will bring welcome warmth to any winter setting, and if you introduce key pieces of oak furniture, you’ll conjure a relaxed, unfussy, inviting parlour, suitable for a rural or urban setting.
Soft textured velvet or faux suede sofas will contrast well with polished wood, boasting a striking natural grain. Follow the theme with dark wood floors, gaily patterned rugs and, as a focal point, a pale stone fireplace.
Lanterns are an interesting alternative to candlesticks, and Sweetpea & Willow’s Criss Cross Lantern, £120, is decorative and appropriate for any season.
Read more interiors features here.