Highgate pop up for Muswell Hill duo’s landmark cushions
- Credit: Archant
You may never have thought of resting your head on a north London landmark, but the cushions by Muswell Hill-based duo T&T may make this a more alluring prospect.
Combining the screen-printing talents of Natasha Barton with the stitching skills of Tanya Kreisky, the pair’s first collaboration is a range of cushions featuring local sites.
“One that will definitely be recognisable is Alexandra Palace,” says Barton.
“Ally Pally always seems to be the one people really home in on and tube stations. Caledonian Road and all the Art Deco ones are popular.”
The process that goes into making the cushions is labour intensive and highly artisanal.
You may also want to watch:
Barton starts by photographing scenes, then does a hand screenprint on fabric from the prints.
Next, Kreisky does an appliqué stitch on top of that and the cushions are put together.
- 1 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 2 Pubs and restaurants look forward to 'normality' of indoors on May 17
- 3 Falling stonework narrowly misses outdoor diners at Crouch End cafe
- 4 'Auto-destruction' in a train shed: how the Roundhouse made Camden cool
- 5 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
- 6 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 7 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 8 'I want to make a difference': new leader for Haringey Council
- 9 You have to laugh – mental health and the role of comedy in our lives
- 10 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
The pair focus on bijou, interesting fabrics, with a bit of a 50s or 60s feel.
“We’ve always been admiring of each others work – she does great bags as well – and we’ve got very similar taste in design and art,” says Barton.
“We’d always said it would be great to bring the two worlds together, my two-dimensional prints and her three-dimensional textiles.
“We’re testing the water with this, if it goes well we’d like to expand into homewares.”
T&T are holding an exhibition and pop up sale from Friday 7th to Sunday 9th at the northandsouthideas gallery in Highgate.