Hampstead or Highgate? Two Modernist properties to choose between
- Credit: Archant
A renovation in Hampstead, or a modern marvel in Highgate. Which Modernist property would you like to live in most?
North London is famed for its Modernist heritage. From the bright, white grandeur of the Isokon building to the lofty heights of Highpoint I and II, Hampstead and Highgate are positively overflowing with left-leaning, ideology-led, concrete-bathed majesty of Modernism. But are you looking for a modern marvel, made up and ready to go, or a Modernist mender to fix up yourself? Here are two to help you make up your mind.
Oak Hill Park, Hampstead, NW3, £1,450,000
Oak Hill Park a 1962 property, and the former site of a series of Victorian villas just off Frognal. This three bedroom Michael Lyell Associates apartment needs sprucing up to bring it up to modern standards, but offers buyers a 22 ft reception room with wood panel ceilings and balcony looking out onto the communal outdoor space including tennis court.
Copper Beech, Highgate, N6, £1,100,000
You may also want to watch:
The American influence on Copper Beech is clear to see. It was commissioned, and designed in part, in 1961 by US film director Samuel Wanamaker who famously restored the Globe Theatre on the South Bank. The block itself was designed by north London architects Dinerman, Davison & Hillman and It features rhythmically arranged, large windows and straight lines reflective of the style.
This flat sits on the top floor and offers 800 sq ft and a private garage. The master bedroom has built in wardrobes and a balcony, whilst the bathroom offers a freestanding bath. Internally, the property was modernised by MacKenzie Wheeler Architects and Designers to incorporate a Lago Italia kitchen with Corian worktops and underfloor heating.
- 1 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 2 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town
- 3 Council denies liability for Church Row bollards car damage
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 6 Nursery to open in former Highgate Barclays building
- 7 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 8 Meet the entrepreneur helping Londoners find the cool dining spots
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 'More than a shop': Storm in a Teacup in 100 nation-wide small businesses