Halloween homes: how to create spook-tacular decor for ‘fright’ night
- Credit: PA
Dip into a witch’s brew of tricks and treats
Halloween - when we celebrate all things spooky - doesn’t mean you have to embrace frightful style.
It’s perfectly possible to take a walk on the dark side, with sophisticated and playful decor touches that create drama, conjure a bewitching setting and last way beyond October 31.
Be brave and take on the twilight trend...
Embrace dark but dreamy decor
You may also want to watch:
If you love living on the dark side year-round, make a statement with a Halloween Mural depicting a haunted night sky, from £26 per square metre, Wallsauce. Alternatively, a Haunted House Mural, from £29 per square metre, Pixers (top image) could be fun for an occasion like a party. Simply add candles and skulls for a spellbinding effect.
Pimp your pumpkin
- 1 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
- 2 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 3 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 4 Outdoor dining and one-way traffic to stay in St John's Wood High Street
- 5 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath
- 6 For sale: Suggs' former 'bachelor pad' with gold-gilded underground bar
- 7 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 8 Crouch End entrepreneur supports Moroccan women with textile business
- 9 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
- 10 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
It’s the traditional symbol of the festival, but if you’d rather avoid the chore of carving your own Jack O’ Lantern (and want to preserve your fingers), there are plenty of alternatives around.
Invest in our feathered friends
Ravens, witches’ familiars in fairy stories, and flocks of crows are essential elements of a gothic setting, whether safely caged or flying free...
Celebrate the Day of the Dead
If the setting’s too gloomy for your taste, bring in colour with vibrant items evoking the spirit of the Day of the Dead, the annual celebration in Mexico.
This skull-shaped seat and/or side table’s designed to send shivers up your spine.
Design a ghostly banquet
Transform a table with a creative setting. Simply lower the lights and make the table a focal point by decorating with a string of pumpkin lights, as well as individually lit pumpkins, and ramp up the eeriness with skull-decorated plates and accessories.
Light up a twilight zone
Flickering candlelight will cast magical shadows (though go for artificial candles, which are safer if children are around).