Game on: how to bring ace Wimbledon style to your home
- Credit: Archant
Bring centre court tennis style to your interiors with these Wimbledon inspired home decor tips.
Wimbledon is such a visual treat, with its iconic vista of velvety green courts and white-clad competitors – currently battling it out for tennis’ greatest crown.
Regardless of the action on court, you could triumph at home and serve a style winner by making Wimbledon the inspiration for a summer decor scheme.
Fresh greens and crisp whites make a chic doubles team - and if you’re a real fan, complement the colour combo with a few beautifully designed tennis-inspired accessories, from cushions to mugs. Result: a style ace.
“Green - reflecting the colour palette of fields, forests and, of course, the pristine grass courts of Wimbledon - is right at the centre of the visual spectrum,” says Dulux creative director Marianne Shillingford.
“It’s also a colour which works with everything, and reminds us there’s a great outdoors beyond the great indoors. Add white to whichever green you choose for a classic combination you’ll never tire of.”
Court the look
- 1 Seven north London gastropubs voted best in UK
- 2 Mum's Balenciaga handbag 'mistakenly' sold by RSPCA charity shop
- 3 Colourful Crouch End bollards to get a repaint due to 'safety' concerns
- 4 Boy, 14, charged following Harringay Sainsbury's stabbing
- 5 Artist with autism gets purr of approval from Grayson Perry
- 6 Highgate School abuse: Staff had to 'shake themselves out of complacency'
- 7 Care home opposite Kenwood labelled 'gross overdevelopment'
- 8 Camden recycling ‘indiscriminately’ contaminated as lorry issues persist
- 9 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 10 Ramsey Court: Residents send letter to Gove in attempt to stop development
“Green and white’s always on trend in interiors; it’s just the shades of green which change with tastes and seasons. Summer 2016 sees a palette of predominantly fresh, cool greens, which have a bit of bite to them, like Grecian Spa, Peppermint Candy and Paper Mint,” says Shillingford.
“Give a scheme real depth by painting walls in shades of green and then use houseplants, real or faux - both of which are making a huge comeback, in groups, as displays and to decorate surfaces.”
For a room which is playful, vibrant and uplifting, choose a warmer green like Grecian Spa 5 and team with Chalky White 1, to capture the essence of summer sunshine on Centre Court perfectly. Both from the Paint Mixing Endurance+ range, 2.5L from RRP £29.99.
Wild card Conjure a small slice of Wimbledon at home with furniture and accessories that evoke the green richness of its manicured turf and ivy-clad walls...
“Designers are embracing foliage in patterns and designs for textiles and wall coverings, and also recreating the effect with items such as Mini Foresti Pendant Lamp, which could have been plucked from a forest, with its frame intertwined with fine branches and leaves,” says Freddie Oke, creative director at The Do South Shop, who stock the stunning Mini Foresti lights, £330 each.
“While the trend does reflect our passion for nature and ‘bringing the outdoors in’, it’s also moving towards a more magical, enchanting setting reminiscent of fairy tales. It’s charming but also up-to-the-minute stylish, and has a lovely softening effect on a contemporary environment.”