For sale: Contemporary Queen’s Park house by award-winning British architect
- Credit: Archant
The first residential project by world famous architect David Adjaye, who has designed homes for designer Alexander McQueen, artists Jake Chapman, Tim Noble and Sue Webster, photographer Juergen Teller and actor Ewan McGregor is on the market for the first time since its construction.
The house sits between the Union Canal and Harrow Road on the fringes of Queen’s Park and is built on the site of a former powder puff factory.
Centred around a double-height living space with concrete walls and a striking, industrial-looking staircase leading up to the mezzanine level the five-storey house’s architecture and interiors reflect the site’s industrial heritage.
The bold green kitchen provides a colourful counterpoint to the rough neutrals of the rest of the open plan reception area, which is flooded with light by a series of floor-to-ceiling windows facing on to the canal and spaced around the upper floor of the room.
Clever use of mirrored surfaces echo the reflective nature of the water outside, as well as maximising the sense of light and space inside.
You may also want to watch:
The house also has direct access onto the canal, as well as a roof garden and wet bar.
Rob Atkins, director at Domus Nova, said: “Silverlight represents a unique opportunity to own a significant architectural home, designed by David Adjaye, one of the most famous practising architects in the world today.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 3 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 4 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 6 Arteta: Arsenal have 'responsibility' to qualify for Europe
- 7 Prince Philip remembered in pictures: London Zoo visits and trips to the theatre
- 8 This destruction of a woodland site must be halted
- 9 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 10 Revealed: How council paid £23m for an office block valued at £10m
“Rarely do houses like this come to the market and once sold they might not reappear for sale again for decades.
“This is a very special house, the first completely new build residential home by David Adjaye and one that he has previously highlighted as a personal favourite.”
Adjaye, who is known for his use of materials that change colour through their exposure to light or take on different textures in different weather conditions, is currently the subject of an exhibition at the Haus der Kunst, Munich.
The architect’s recent projects include the $500million Smithsonian National Museum of African American Culture and History in Washington DC. Tipped to be the last major museum on the National Mall, the opening ceremony was attended by the Obamas. He has also won a commission to redevelop the pocket of central London comprising Dover Street, Berkeley Street, and Piccadilly into one large building.
Silverlight is available through Domus Nova with an asking price of £5.5million