For sale: author H.G. Wells’ Marylebone ‘book club’ flat
- Credit: Archant
A flat in Marylebone where neighbours H.G. Wells, Arnold Bennett and political cartoonist David Low enjoyed one of 1930s London’s starriest book clubs could be yours for £3,650,000
The elegant four-bedroom apartment in Marylebone’s Chiltern Court has been refurbished into a luxury pad offering a unique slice of London history and architecture.
The grand, nine-storey Edwardian building was constructed between 1911 and 1914 and originally served as HQ of the Metropolitan Railway Company and a luxury hotel before being converted into one of the best apartment buildings in London, counting the illustrious trio as residents.
Their weekly book club ran until the outbreak of WWII and hosted speakers including Beatrice Webb, Emmeline Pankhurst and Frank Podmore because the War of the Worlds author had links to the Fabian Society and the Labour Party.
No stranger to high society, Chiltern Court is also a short walk away from the Chiltern Firehouse, a former fire station turned restaurant, which today is popular with A-listers including Kate Moss, Simon Cowell, Lindsay Lohan, David Beckham, Bill Clinton, Bradley Cooper and Orlando Bloom.
You may also want to watch:
The apartment shares the modern glamour of the feted hotel following a complete refurbishment by architect Eamon McGurnaghan of EMGA.
Becky Fatemi, managing director of Rokstone who are marketing the property, said: “Chiltern Court is a grand Portland stone mansion flat building with an illustrious history.
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 3 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 4 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 5 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 6 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 7 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 8 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 9 Heroic walker who raised thousands for charity dies aged 101
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
“It is here during the 1930s that some of the leading writers and politicans of the day met to debate women’s and worker’s rights and political events then taking place in Europe.
“Now a new chapter is being added, with the unveiling of this beautiful contemporary lateral residence. It has outstanding dimensions and one of the best south-facing frontages, 13 windows across, of any West End apartment currently on the market.
“The sophisticated contemporary ambience, the fine attention to detail and the quality of the specification combine with the exceptional living spaces to deliver an outstanding lateral flat.”