For sale: Art Deco Highgate flat by Arsenal stadium architect
- Credit: Archant
An Art Deco flat in Highgate designed by the architect behind the East Stand at the original Arsenal stadium in Highbury is on the market.
The two-bedroom flat is on the first floor of the 1933 Heath-side block, which was designed by Scottish architect William Bryce Binnie.
Binnie studied at Glasgow School of Art and trained in that city but in 1910 he moved to New York where he worked on parts of Grand Central Station. In 1927 he set up a practice in London with fellow Scot Claude Ferrier, which is when he embraced the Art Deco style seen at West Hill Court as well as in his later work on the East Stand of Highbury Stadium from 1936.
Tucked away on the site of the former Queen Alexandra Hospital, the white-rendered buildings in the development are set in a secluded communal garden, the entrance on Millfield Lane marked only by a discreet sign.
All flats in the block boast dark grey Crittall windows, which are seen to stunning effect in the reception room of the flat, which is being marketed by The Modern House.
You may also want to watch:
The 971 sq ft property has a modern kitchen with Corian worktop but the owners have retained the original parquet floor and matched the original wall tiles.
The reception room also boasts a working fireplace and a sliding door leading to the second bedroom/study with a storage wall and fold-down desk.
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 5 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 6 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 7 Property of the week: Impressive mid-terrace Kentish Town family home
- 8 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 9 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
A concrete floor in the bathroom with black vanity unity and Scandinavian Vola fittings completes the attractive interiors.
Matt Gibberd founding director of The Modern House said: “In our opinion this is the finest modern movement apartment building in Highgate, aside from the Grade I-listed Highpoint.
“This flat has been elegantly refurbished and has the Heath on its doorstep, as well as beautifully maintained communal gardens with tennis and squash courts and a kitchen garden.”