For Sale: A Modernist Hampstead Heath-side house with a moat
- Credit: Archant
A contemporary family home which comes complete with a water feature that runs around the perimeter of the house moat-style is on the market through Glentree.
The “contemporary yet classic” architecture may not immediately strike those looking for the perfect place to bring up a family, but the London-born businessman who has lived in the property with his wife and two young children for five and a half years says that the minimalist design shouldn’t put people off.
“I lived in Little Venice and was broody for a dog so moving by the Heath seemed like a good idea,” he says. “We now have a dog and two kids.
“It’s a fantastic family home. We’re a young family but I think families with kids in their early teens would also love it because you could lock them in the leisure floor where you’ve got the swimming pool, steam room, gym, games area and a media room.”
The family have renovated and extended the property since they moved in, adding an extra bedroom and the kitchen area and lower ground floor to the existing space but they have retained much of the “purist” design that the original owner instated.
“The guy that built the house bought another house and tore it down to build this one from scratch,” says the owner.
“Although he was a developer by trade and redeveloped the Gainsborough Studios, this house was a labour of love.
- 1 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 2 Burglar posing as police officer 'preyed upon the elderly'
- 3 Hanukkah 2021: Five events in north London tonight
- 4 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 5 Possible travel disruptions in north London this week
- 6 CCTV: Man makes ‘sexually explicit comments’ to teen on tube
- 7 Susan Jones obituary: A 'humble' Muswell Hill shop owner of 40 years
- 8 Artist with autism exhibits vibrant London scenes at Lido Cafe
- 9 North London Chorus to perform in Muswell Hill
- 10 Highgate Hill housing plans spark fears over new pub's future
“He wasn’t building it for profit so he created these overly large rooms and went to huge expense to source the best materials for it, like solid wood and marble. He went for the sort of detail that I don’t think a developer would have put in.”
Apart from the top of the range interiors, the biggest other thing the house has going for it is an almost incomparable location, on a secure private road nudging the Heath.
“On a summer’s day when you’ve got the glass doors open, you’ve got absolute peace and quiet and you have no idea that you’re in the centre of London, yet I work in Soho and I can be there in 25 minutes.”
“When it comes to it, it’s going to be very hard to relocate. This doesn’t have the feeling of a very modern house but it also doesn’t have the feel of a pastiche house. It’s very unusual.”
The asking price is £5,950,000 through Glentree Estates