Do I wait until I find a new property before selling mine?
- Credit: Archant
Simon Gerrard, the president of the National Association of Estate Agents, answers your property questions.
Do I wait till I find a new property before selling mine?
This is probably the second most common question, again there is a simple answer – no. There are many potential sellers who are putting off placing their own home on the market until they have found somewhere to buy, but this can lead to major disappointment and losing your dream home to someone who is in a better position to progress the purchase as “their home is under offer”
Marketing your home early not only gives you time to achieve the best price, it puts you in a much better position when you find your next home.
If you are looking in a popular area, there will be a lot of competing buyers. A seller is more likely to be swayed by a buyer who may not offer the best price but is in the best position with a buyer in place or already has their property being actively marketed.
You may also want to watch:
If you are not yet on the market, this won’t be you. So my advice is that once you have identified an area you want to move to, settled on a budget, refined and narrowed the criteria of your new home; this is the time to place your own property on the market, but it’s important to instruct the right agent at the right price, you should also consider instructing an agent that can help you with your search.
If you have a question for Simon email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 5 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 6 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 7 Property of the week: Impressive mid-terrace Kentish Town family home
- 8 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 9 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned