Contemporary Christmas twists on the traditional poinsettia
- Credit: Archant
As December arrives, so does the annual onslaught of bright red potted poinsettia in supermarkets across the land, acting as an instant sign that Christmas is approaching.
While these are a perfectly fine way to add splash of bold colour to homes in an instant, this year has seen the plant re-imagined by some of Europe’s most cutting edge floral designers.
Whether you go all out with abundant table decorations like Rebel Rebel or stick closer to tradition with restrained but sweet small gifts, take inspiration from the pictures below. This is the poinsettia as you’ve never seen it before.
East London’s Rebel Rebel used the unusual salmon poinsettia for their ‘Restoration’ themed table setting.
You may also want to watch:
Bushy chair-backs and a sprawling centrepiece set at different heights will add a Baroque flair to any Christmas table and bring the outdoors in during the chilly season.
- 1 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 2 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 3 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 4 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 5 Mikel Arteta turns focus to new signings after Arsenal let fringe players leave
- 6 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
- 7 Arsenal legend Nigel Winterburn relieved to see Mesut Ozil depart
- 8 Arsenal look to bounce back at home to West Ham
- 9 Councillors slam 'outrageous' change of plans for 100 Avenue Road
- 10 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
Combine poinsettia with other winter blooms like hydrangeas, snowberries, wildflowers and green foliage.
Strew them across the mantelpiece, or any other suitable surface, to create a festive focal point away from the TV.
Go beyond traditional red and green by combining vibrant scarlet poinsettia with purple clematis and hot pink gloriosa lilies.
Add interestingly shaped anthuriums and calla lilies for a bold, structural look.
Take inspiration from Snow White like these German designers with blood-red flowers in a pure white setting.
It’s surprisingly easy to recreate the hanging flowers at home with sky planters.
Prettily washed-out winter colours are used to stunning effect in this contemporary table runner.
Unusual materials and techniques create a real twist to the traditional displays often found at this time of year.
Another way to use poinsettia to surprising effect is to pop them into unusual settings.
Pop them into nooks and crannies throughout the house for a casual effect, or place under bell jars and glass cloches for a vintage scientific look.
The striking look of poinsettia makes them perfect for simple yet bold gifts, an ideal party thank you at this time of year.
Combine the flowers with fake red apples and wild twigs or use as a base for candles, for a truly festive gift.