Christmas gift guide: 14 top picks for gardeners and green-fingered types
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
From sweet stocking-fillers to wow-factor pressies, these are bound to delight
If you have a friend or relative who loves nothing more than pottering around in the garden or helping things grow, there’s a plethora of gifts out there this Christmas with their name on. From quirky nesters to dinky tins, tools and shed tidies, here are 14 of our top picks...
1. Teapot Nester, £16.99 (suttons.co.uk)
Anyone for a cuppa? Small birds can make better use of this quirky nesting site - a teapot made from weather resistant ceramic, which is easy to install in any garden and should attract a variety of small birds.
2. Hozelock AquaDeco Watering Globes, currently reduced to £8.37 from £12.49 for a pack of three (andysemporium.co.uk)
If they find watering pots a chore, help make it easy for them with some stylish handmade Hozelock AquaDeco Watering Globes. Fill these water, then turn upside down in the pot, and just the right amount will be released as required.
3. Burgon & Ball Flora And Fauna Indoor Watering Can, £16.99 (burgonandball.com)
However, if they do enjoy watering by hand, how about giving them something pretty to get the job done with? This gorgeous watering can from Burgon & Ball is bound to brighten up even dreary days - and there’s a host of other matching accessories, if you’re feeling generous.
4. Bosch EasyCut 12 Cordless NanoBlade Saw, £130 (bosch-do-it.com)
You may also want to watch:
This all-purpose compact cordless multi-saw was a finalist in this year’s RHS Chelsea Garden Product of the Year. It has a lithium-ion battery but is lightweight, operates with minimal vibration, and can cut through branches and wood. Ideal for all those pruning tasks.
5. Garden Market Vegetable Kit, £15, Wyevale Garden Centres (in store only; wyevalegardencentres.co.uk)
The perfect gift for a green-fingered friend, this ‘grow your own’ vegetable kit comes complete with all the essentials for starting a veggie plot from scratch, including gloves, tools, seeds, compost and twine.
6. Hozelock Seasons 15m Spiral Hose Set, £29.99 (very.co.uk)
- 1 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 2 Falling stonework narrowly misses outdoor diners at Crouch End cafe
- 3 British fencing great Richard Kruse announces retirement
- 4 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 5 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 6 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
- 7 New Indian restaurant Ritu to replace Yasmeen Kitchen in St John's Wood
- 8 Hampstead bakery sells challah hearts for Mental Health Awareness Week
- 9 Camden shouldn't ignore residents, but we need low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 10 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
This colourful little hosepipe is ideal for small-scale urban gardeners, or those who just have a patio to tend to, as it stretches from 1m to 15m in length and retracts again for easy storage. The nozzle also has five spray patterns for gardening and cleaning tasks. Available in lime green, pink or purple.
7. STAYHOLD Super Pack Car Boot Organiser, £24.99 (robertdyas.co.uk)
Ever loaded your car boot with plants - only to find, once you’ve got home, that they’ve toppled and scattered soil everywhere? This innovative system from Velcro, which enables you to fix pots into place, will make those pesky spillages a thing of the past.
8. Suttons Seed Tins, £4.95 each (suttons.co.uk)
The famous seed company has put 12 of its most popular varieties for successional sowing into dinky tins featuring classic styling reminiscent of more than 200 years of Suttons heritage. No more ripping open packets and rolling down the tops to store, these mini tins contain twice as many seeds as standard packs, and would make lovely stocking-fillers.
9. Heyland & Whittle Candle In A Can, £15 (heylandandwhittle.co.uk)
Everybody loves a candle - and this new ‘Scentsational’ range from Heyland & Whittle features unusual fragrances guaranteed to appeal to the gardening brigade, including Garden Pea, Black Olives, Pineapple and Tomato & Herb.
10. Burgon & Ball Hang It Pegboard, £22.99 (burgonandball.com)
If they like to be organised, and hate losing time searching for those little gardening essentials such as twine, scissors and small hand tools, why not treat them to this nifty metal peg board? Comes complete with fixings and eight hooks for hanging.
11. Rutland Neoprene Lined Wellington Boots, £79.99 (townandco.com)
A cut above the rest, the 4mm-thick neoprene lining covers the whole of the inside of the boot, including the insole area, making them supremely comfortable, while a concertina-style gusset on the inside and contoured design provides an adjustable fit. There’s also a steel shank for added strength in the sole.
12. Felco Model 2 Original Secateurs, currently reduced to £44 from £54 (worldoffelco.co.uk)
Every gardener loves receiving a shiny, sharp new pair of secateurs, and you can’t go wrong with these. Among the most popular available, they’re widely used by professional and amateurs alike, with solid forged metal alloy handles and replaceable precision-made Swiss blades. Truly reliable.
13. Burgon & Ball Apple Bird Feeder, £6.99 each (burgonandball.com)
Available in a house or heart-shaped design, these beautiful stocking-fillers should delight bird-lovers. Designed by Sophie Conran and made from powder-coated galvanised steel and with a leather hanging cord, you simply place an apple on the spike and hang from a tree branch, preferably where you can see it from the house.
14. Organic Gardener’s Rescue Kit, £44.75 (notonthehighstreet.com)
A gorgeous package for the tired gardener who wants some soothing therapy at the end of the day. It includes a herbal hand cleanser made with lightly-foaming soapwort and lavender, along with handcream and a nailbrush, plus a herbal bath soak packed with Epsom salts and balancing essential oils. The box can be reused for storing seeds, twine and other garden ephemera.