Buy an island for less than the price of your north London home
- Credit: DPA/Press Association Images
With prices in areas such as Hampstead and Highgate you could even afford to purchase two islands if you can bear to give up the north London lifestyle, while a “fire sale” of Greek islands is expected as a ramification of the debt crisis.
Knight Frank’s latest Island Report shows that 65 per cent of private islands are on sale for less than £350,000.
According to Right Move the average price of a home in north London is £640,039, meaning that you could comfortably afford to buy an island and still have thousands to spare.
The Island Report also revealed predictions of a “fire sale” of Greek islands, which comes after news previously reported by the Ham & High that property investors are flooding into north London from Greece due to its current economic instability.
“As the long-term ramifications of Greece’s financial bailout play out more fire-sales of Greek islands are expected,” reads the Island Report.
However, it added that in 2014 Greece introduced its “first permanent property tax” which is proving “burdensome” for some private island owners.
It seems foreign investors looking for a bargain are most likely to be attracted to Greece, so why not join them and drop north London life to while away your days on a private island instead?
You may also want to watch:
Private Island Myth Busting
1. Celebrities and UHNWIs are the main buyers
- 1 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 2 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 3 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 4 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 5 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 6 Mikel Arteta 'excited' by Arsenal's appointment of Richard Garlick
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Housing: Billionaire owner of 'squalid shoeboxes' must 'up its game'
- 9 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres
- 10 Ice cream shop supporting freelancers opens in Primose Hill
In fact Governments, NGOs and Conservationist groups are competing for ownership
2. Private Island = Private Jet
Most UHNWIs fly to a nearby hub and then travel by boat to their island
3. Tax benefits are the key motivation for buyers
Less than 10% of islands provide tax advantages to residents
4. Private islands are a shrinking resource
Volcanic eruptions are creating new islands each year with Tonga, Russia and Japan home to the latest additions