Buy an island for less than the price of your north London home
- Credit: DPA/Press Association Images
With prices in areas such as Hampstead and Highgate you could even afford to purchase two islands if you can bear to give up the north London lifestyle, while a “fire sale” of Greek islands is expected as a ramification of the debt crisis.
Knight Frank’s latest Island Report shows that 65 per cent of private islands are on sale for less than £350,000.
According to Right Move the average price of a home in north London is £640,039, meaning that you could comfortably afford to buy an island and still have thousands to spare.
The Island Report also revealed predictions of a “fire sale” of Greek islands, which comes after news previously reported by the Ham & High that property investors are flooding into north London from Greece due to its current economic instability.
“As the long-term ramifications of Greece’s financial bailout play out more fire-sales of Greek islands are expected,” reads the Island Report.
However, it added that in 2014 Greece introduced its “first permanent property tax” which is proving “burdensome” for some private island owners.
It seems foreign investors looking for a bargain are most likely to be attracted to Greece, so why not join them and drop north London life to while away your days on a private island instead?
You may also want to watch:
Private Island Myth Busting
1. Celebrities and UHNWIs are the main buyers
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 3 When Prince's Sign o' the Times shop opened in Camden
- 4 'He was mesmerising': Barney Hoskyns on Prince, five years on
- 5 Temple Fortune's Cohens Jewellers celebrates turning 50 - a year late
- 6 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 7 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 8 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 9 Mary Feilding Guild: New Highgate owner claims 'widespread Legionella'
- 10 'Football is everything': Camden United on tackling knife crime and supporting community
In fact Governments, NGOs and Conservationist groups are competing for ownership
2. Private Island = Private Jet
Most UHNWIs fly to a nearby hub and then travel by boat to their island
3. Tax benefits are the key motivation for buyers
Less than 10% of islands provide tax advantages to residents
4. Private islands are a shrinking resource
Volcanic eruptions are creating new islands each year with Tonga, Russia and Japan home to the latest additions