£30 million released by government to improve energy efficiency in homes
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Up to £30 million has been made available today to help people improve the energy efficiency of their homes.
The money has been released through the government’s Green Deal Home Improvement Fund (GDHIF), which offers up to £5,600 in vouchers to help with the cost of installing solid wall insulation, double glazing, boilers, cavity wall and floor insulation.
Energy and Climate Change Secretary Ed Davey said: “The best way people can cut their energy bills, this winter and every winter, is to improve their homes so that they leak less heat and use less energy.
“That’s why we’ve increased the funding available for the Green Deal to help even more people start saving money sooner.”
Through the scheme domestic energy customers can receive up to £4,000 for installing solid wall insulation (down from £6,000 in the previous release); up to £1,000 for installing two measures from an approved list; up to £100 refunded for their Green Deal Assessment; up to £500 more if applying within 12 months of buying a new home.
You may also want to watch:
In June this year £120 million was released, offering a more generous loan of £7,600.
The money was claimed within weeks of being made available, with the final £70 million snapped up in just three days, leading to protests from those who missed out.
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 5 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 6 Highgate School staff must undergo 'anti-sexism training' over summer
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 9 Property of the week: Impressive mid-terrace Kentish Town family home
- 10 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
Further releases will be announced on a quarterly basis with the next giveaway expected to be in February 2015.
To apply from today or to find a local assessor visit gov.uk