Mafia claims in Muswell Hill as scouts are turned into marksmen
29 July 1983 A wood company foreman did not hesitate when a shotgun-armed bandit robbed his firm of wages. He braved being shot and chased after the robber, who escaped in a car with £2,300. It was only later that he discovered the getaway driver was his
29 July 1983
A wood company foreman did not hesitate when a shotgun-armed bandit robbed his firm of wages. He braved being shot and chased after the robber, who escaped in a car with £2,300. It was only later that he discovered the getaway driver was his own son, who also worked for the company, the Old Bailey is told.
Hampstead's weekend art show on the pavements of Heath Street, the first open-air display of its kind, is about to die - after 37 years - because of financial losses.
Residents in Hampstead Garden Suburb are threatening to withhold management fees owed to the Suburb Trust, following rises during the past five years of more than 700 per cent.
You may also want to watch:
A firm that wants to open an amusement centre in Muswell Hill Broadway accuses local residents of orchestrating a misleading campaign by calling the proposed "high quality amusement centre" a bingo parlour or an arcade. They also put up posters claiming that the company is backed by the Mafia, thus frightening people into signing petitions, it is claimed.
"If it were generally known and realised that a large number of Englishmen and boys could hit anything within sight with a rifle bullet, an enemy would think twice before invading England." This quote comes from the parish magazine of All Saints, Church Road, Highgate, in 1910, when Scouts were being taught to shoot.
- 1 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 2 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 3 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 4 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 5 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 6 Letters: The floods!
- 7 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 8 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 9 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 10 Flash floods 'three feet high' leave basement flats 'uninhabitable'