Kenwood House a step closer to multi-million pound refurbishment
The elegant villa, which was remodelled in the 18th Century and sits in the attractive grounds of Hampstead Heath, is hoping to raise �3.3million from the HLF to pay for much-needed repairs.
Kenwood House is one step closer to a multi million pound renovation after its application for Heritage Lottery Funding (HLF) passed the first round.
he elegant villa, which was remodelled in the 18th Century and sits in the attractive grounds of Hampstead Heath, is hoping to raise �3.3million from the HLF to pay for much-needed repairs.
The grant would go towards making the roof of Kenwood House weather tight, protecting the magnificent interior and important art collection from serious leaks and damp.
Despite regular maintenance, time and the elements have taken their toll and inspections have revealed cracked and slipping slates, and damage to the leadwork and timber beneath the roof.
You may also want to watch:
Welcoming the news, Tim Reeve, English Heritage’s historic properties director, said: “Kenwood House is exceptional: it is an architectural gem which is home to an exceptional collection of works of art.
“The House has reached a point where it needs a thorough programme of repair and conservation. We are delighted that the HLF has given the thumbs up to our plans and we will focus our efforts now on passing the second round.”
- 1 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 2 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 3 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 4 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 5 Mikel Arteta 'excited' by Arsenal's appointment of Richard Garlick
- 6 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 7 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres
- 8 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 9 Housing: Billionaire owner of 'squalid shoeboxes' must 'up its game'
- 10 Royal Mail delays in Hornsey 'could see Covid-19 vaccination letters missed'
Sue Bowers, head of the Heritage Lottery Fund for London, said: “Kenwood House is a heritage treasure, and this ‘green light’ means that project plans can now be further developed to ensure that the house and its nationally important art collections are preserved for future generations to explore and enjoy.”