Highgate vigilantes and a pensioner stuck under a bus: This week’s Ham&High 15 years ago
- Credit: Archant
This week in 2005 vigilantes were set to take to the leafy streets of Highgate to crack down on vicious gangs of yobs and burglars.
The crime-busters, including a Second World War hero, were to patrol Cromwell Avenue, Cromwell Place and surrounding roads to stop a "wave" of burglaries.
Elsewhere, Prince Harry snubbed an invitation to a play about Holocaust survivors but has apologised for wearing a Nazi uniform to a fancy dress party.
The Prince, then 20 years old, was invited to a performance of Planet Palestine at Highgate's Upstairs at the Gatehouse Theatre.
Meanwhile a pensioner had a miraculous escape after she was crushed under a bus in a Golders Green garage.
You may also want to watch:
The woman, in her 70s, was pinned under a bus before paramedics and an air ambulance rushed to the scene while specialist fire crews lifted the bus.
- 1 First-time buyers fear ruin as 'dream' flats fail fire safety test
- 2 Petition to save oak and hornbeam trees in Coldfall Wood
- 3 Covid-19 surge testing in East Finchley after South African variant appears
- 4 Covid-19: Area around Royal Free one of few in UK to avoid deaths
- 5 Free Nazanin: Pressure on government rises as end of sentence approaches
- 6 Arteta concerned about Arsenal striker Nketiah
- 7 Leila Roy tributes: 'We will miss her energy and her big heart'
- 8 'Paul the Paper' shuts up shop in Crouch End for the final time
- 9 Highgate's Victorian 'pineapple' railings repaired and restored.
- 10 Woodland is being damage - time to show some respect