Celebrities gather in Maida Hill to honour Sir Norman Wisdom
Bee Gee Robin Gibb and presenter Nicholas Parsons helped unveil a plaque in Maida Hill on Sunday at the house where Sir Norman Wisdom was born.
The iconic comic actor, who died last October, was born and raised in Fernhead Road and members of his family and his agent Johnny Mans were also there to unveil the blue plaque.
The event was organised by the Heritage Foundation, of which Sir Norman was the first annual president in 1995 when it was known as Comic Heritage.
Sir Norman’s son Nick, who helped unveil the plaque, said: “The family and I are absolutely delighted at this honour.
“We’re delighted people can see where Sir Norman started life.
You may also want to watch:
“This will also be very emotional for us as it is the first public do in my father’s honour since he died.
“For him not to be there with us will be tremendously sad. He would normally have got up and sung Don’t Laugh At Me and it would be such a happy time.”
- 1 Mary Feilding Guild: New Highgate owner claims 'widespread Legionella'
- 2 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 3 Temple Fortune's Cohens Jewellers celebrates turning 50 - a year late
- 4 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 5 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 6 When Prince's Sign o' the Times shop opened in Camden
- 7 'He was mesmerising': Barney Hoskyns on Prince, five years on
- 8 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 9 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 10 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
Heritage Foundation chairman David Gordon said: “Norman Wisdom, although not a tall man, was the biggest man I have ever met.
“He was the most amazing lovely man and is sorely missed. We will never see his like again.”
Sir Norman’s grandson Lawrence Wisdom, Johnny Mans, daughter Jacqui Wisdom, Nicholas Parsons, son Nick Wisdom and Robin Gibb pictured at the plaque unveiling.