Search

Frankie Dettori’s “positive test” announcement delayed until Wednesday

08:41 04 December 2012

Jockey Frankie Dettori walks in the paddock prior to the Ascot Racecourese Handicap Stakes. Photo credit: Jonathan Brady/PA wire

Jockey Frankie Dettori walks in the paddock prior to the Ascot Racecourese Handicap Stakes. Photo credit: Jonathan Brady/PA wire

PA Archive/Press Association Images

Horse Talk: Top horse-racing tips and the latest news

Frankie Dettori must wait to hear the outcome of his “positive test” for a banned substance following news that the French authorities will not make an announcement until Wednesday.

The French racing authority France Galop had been expected to announce today (Tuesday) what action to take after a medical committee that met in France last week to examine the file, revealed their intention to hand over the findings to the stewards.

Their resolution to refer the matter to the stewards boosted the possibility of a lengthy ban for Dettori who tested positive to a banned substance at Longchamp in September. This led to the three-time champion jockey’s decision to forgo all rides until the French racing authorities announced their final decision.

Dettori said last week in a statement through his solicitor Christopher Stewart-Moore: “Following today’s announcement by France Galop setting out the conclusions of their medical committee, Frankie Dettori would like to say that he accepts their conclusions without reservation.

“He is grateful to the medical committee for their time and in particular for listening to his explanation of his position.

“As to the suspension of his licence in France, this is something he fully anticipated and he has not in any event ridden since November 6, when he honoured a pre-existing commitment to ride in the Melbourne Cup.

“He can now confirm that until the matter is resolved by the stewards of France Galop at a hearing within the next fortnight he will not be riding again anywhere.

“Once the stewards of France Galop make their decision he will make a full statement but is unable to do so until such time as that final decision is announced.”

0 comments

Latest Sport Stories

Mousa Dembele (right) in action against Everton on the final day of the season

EXCLUSIVE: Mousa Dembele says Tottenham’s success in overtaking Liverpool on the final day of the season and securing a fifth-place finish can help them to attract their transfer targets this summer.

Arsene Wenger (left) and Tim Sherwood (Anthony Devlin/PA Wire)

Arsene Wenger has confirmed that Arsenal were once in talks to sign Tim Sherwood ahead of their meeting in the FA Cup final on Saturday.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger attends a press conference (Photo by Stuart MacFarlane/Arsenal FC via Getty Images)

Arsene Wenger says that Danny Welbeck will miss the FA Cup final as well as England’s upcoming fixtures.

Yesterday, 17:34
Ed Bird took 6-47 in North Middlesex's victory over Southgate. Pic: Max Flego

North Middlesex are soaring in second place in the top flight of the Middlesex County Cricket League after Ed Bird’s six-wicket haul against Southgate helped to maintain their perfect record.

Most read sport

Property Newsletter Sign-up

The latest North London property news and features straight into your inbox.

Other Emails:
Fields marked with a * are mandatory
Email Marketing by e-shot

Competitions

You could take in stunning views of London over brunch at the Sky Garden

Celebrate lighter, brighter days with the chance of winning an indulgent brunch for two with a bottle of bubbles at Darwin, the cool and casual brasserie 36 floors up at Sky Garden.

Time to experience the dizzy heights of London's tallest attraction!

Morgan Pryce, commercial property experts based in London are offering one lucky reader the chance to win a pair of tickets to The Shard viewing platform in the city itself.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Hampstead & Highgate Express e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24


Our trusted business finder