Search

Spurs coach: Assou-Ekotto’s back but Kaboul’s out until February

14:35 03 January 2013

Tottenham

Tottenham's Benoit Assou-Ekotto. Photo: Adam Davy/EMPICS

EMPICS Sport

Steffen Freund says Benoit Assou-Ekotto is available to start against Coventry on Saturday – but Younes Kaboul will be out of action for another six weeks.

Assou-Ekotto and Kaboul have been absent since August with knee injuries and, although Freund had good news on the left-back’s recovery, he admits it will be a while before Kaboul is back in contention.

“We have a really strong squad now. We have a lot of players who have been on the bench who deserve to start, and they are really good players,” said Spurs’ assistant coach.

“Benoit Assou-Ekotto is coming back after an injury – he is available to play. Scott Parker is back now and I think we have a far better situation now.

“It’s too early to say if they [Assou-Ekotto and Parker] will start. We have two days to go, Andre will make his decision tomorrow or on Saturday.

“What I can say is that we have a really strong squad - not only 11, not 20 but 27 players with a lot of good youngsters behind.”

On Kaboul’s recovery schedule, Freund added: “It looks good, he’s running for 20 or 25 minutes on the road and it’s good news and no problems with his knee so far.

“He’s on a six-week programme from the medical staff and starting to work now with the fitness coaches.

“It’s difficult to say now which game he will be back but hopefully in the middle or end of February.

“Of course he’s frustrated, he likes to be involved – especially when you are successful. But he’s a really important part of Tottenham, of our squad. He has a lot of leadership qualities and we are waiting to have him back as quickly as possible.”

Meanwhile, Tottenham are still waiting for Emmanuel Adebayor’s decision over whether he will depart for the African Cup of Nations, which starts on January 19.

Togo will play a warm-up game in Niger on Saturday, January 5, and then head to Accra in Ghana for a six-day training camp.

“We don’t know yet,” said Freund. “I think the preparations of most of the teams have started already. We have to wait.

“We would love him in the squad, and that he would not go to the African Cup of Nations, but it’s a massive tournament and we respect his decision.

“It’s difficult to say anything now. For us it’s important that he’s playing with us, but if he’s involved and he goes then we respect that.

“Let’s wait for Ade’s decision. We have been successful with and without him in the team. He was injured for eight games and we had a really good run without him.

“We are strong with him as well - he scored in the last game. But that’s why we have [Jermain] Defoe and [Clint] Dempsey - they can play up front, and so can [Gylfi] Sigurdsson.”

Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs

0 comments

Latest Sport Stories

Mauricio Pochettino. Pic: Anthony Devlin/PA Wire

Mauricio Pochettino admits his Tottenham tenure has not started as smoothly as he imagined in the summer, but he insists he has the support of chairman Daniel Levy.

Kyle Walker of Tottenham Hotspur (Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images)

Mauricio Pochettino says Kyle Walker has returned to training and could return in December – but the Spurs boss has injury concerns ahead of Sunday’s trip to Hull.

Thu, 09:00
Highgate Harriers' Ryan McKinlay (right) finishes in a dead heat with his good friend Tom Beedell. Pic: Martyn Loach

Highgate Harriers’ Ryan McKinlay made a passionate plea to be allowed to enter a “historically significant race” on Sunday – and he ended up coming joint first after a dead heat with his good friend Tom Beedell.

Thu, 08:00
Alan Clyne of Scotland is the second seed at the London Open squash tournament, which will be held at Cumberland in Hampstead

Cumberland Lawn Tennis Club will host the annual international London Open squash tournament next week, with $20,000 (£12,800) of prize money up for grabs.

Most read sport

Protesters have been warned they are banned from setting up camp at the landmark.

John Cantlie features in the new IS video, in which he talks about a recent failed military attack.

From Britain First’s Facebook posts, you would assume they’d won the Rochester by-election. They didn’t, but they’re claiming it anyway.

At 100 years old, this was Ruby Holt’s first visit to the beach – and the first time she saw the ocean.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Hampstead & Highgate Express e-edition today E-edition