Search

Di Matteo confirms Cole to face rap over Twitter rant as Chelsea rout Norwich

19:02 06 October 2012

Chelsea

Chelsea's John Terry (left) and Ashley Cole during the 4-1 win over Norwich. Photo credit: Andrew Matthews/PA wire

PA Wire/Press Association Images

Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo would not be drawn too much in the issues surrounding the club and players in their off-field activities, preferring to focus on the demolition of Norwich City.

Ashley Cole was forced to apologise yesterday for a foul-mouthed Twitter blast at the FA, in which he called the game’s governing body a “bunch of t***s” after he was accused of “evolving” his statement supporting John Terry’s defence against the charge he racially abused Anton Ferdinand.

The Chelsea boss insisted such events would not effect his side, saying; “The results are telling us that we can blank things out and focus on winning games.

“The players are proving how professional they are.”

Di Matteo suggested that there was not a siege mentality developing within the club.

“We don’t feel that at all,” he said. “We concentrate on our strengths and try to win games with our footballing philosophy.

“We are creating chances and scoring goals, with different players too. We are not relying on just one player - the team is in good shape.”

But the spectre of the Cole tweet on Friday would not go away.

Di Matteo said: “We have a social media policy and there will be a disciplinary action against the (Ashley Cole) tweet.

“I spoke to Ashley about that tweet and other footballing things,” added Di Matteo.

“But then, I speak to all players on a daily and weekly basis.

“I’m in favour of Twitter. Players just need to use it sensibly and responsibly.

“If they breach the rules, then there are consequences.”

Di Matteo was never going to allow those off-field activities to determine who played on the pitch.

“I had no doubts about playing JT and Ash,” he said.

“I judge them on what they do on the training ground. They are focused and professional and that’s how I pick my team.”

Trying to get back on track and talk about the rout of Norwich, Di Matteo said: “The players are enjoying their football. They love it and are lucky to do it as a job.

“We created many chances and scored good goals.

“But it was important to get the equaliser quickly. We have a good squad and I’m utilising it. We have not seen much of Oriol Romeu or [Marko] Marin and [Daniel] Sturridge is injured - but we have been lucky with injuries so far.”

Related articles

0 comments

Latest Sport Stories

Yesterday, 17:30
Kirk Drummond took four wickets for South Hampstead. Pic: Max Flego

South Hampstead continued their winning start to the season with a commanding seven-wicket victory away against North London, who remain winless with just one point on the board in Division Three of the Middlesex County Cricket League.

Yesterday, 16:45
Highgate's Craig Gourlay (left) took 5-23 and then hit an unbeaten 42. Pic: Paolo Minoli

Craig Gourlay’s all-round display maintained Highgate’s maximum record this season as they beat Harrow Town by four wickets to stay top of the Division Three table in the Middlesex County Cricket League.

Yesterday, 16:15
Hornsey's Chetan Patel was frustrated by Brentham's negative tactics. Pic: Max Flego

Sean Solia equalled the highest score by a Hornsey batsman in league history – but his side were left frustrated as Brentham ground out a draw in Division Two of the Middlesex County Cricket League.

Yesterday, 15:38
Brondesbury captain Adam Wilson, who took 5-60, was pleased with his side's performance in the field but says the batting must improve. Pic: Paolo Minoli

Brondesbury captain Adam Wilson was frustrated by two crucial umpiring decisions as Eastcote gained a controversial winning draw off the final ball of Saturday’s Division Two match in the Middlesex County Cricket League.

Most read sport

Property Newsletter Sign-up

The latest North London property news and features straight into your inbox.

Other Emails:
Fields marked with a * are mandatory
Email Marketing by e-shot

Competitions

The sell out 2014 event 32 Londoners, returns to the Coca-Cola London Eye!

The Coca-Cola London Eye is proud to announce that 32 Londoners will be returning this June, following last year’s sell out event. The event will feature 32 talks, in each of the London Eye’s 32 capsules on 32 extraordinary Londoners.

You could take in stunning views of London over brunch at the Sky Garden

Celebrate lighter, brighter days with the chance of winning an indulgent brunch for two with a bottle of bubbles at Darwin, the cool and casual brasserie 36 floors up at Sky Garden.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Hampstead & Highgate Express e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24


Our trusted business finder