Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd & Spurs aces in England XI for Poland clash
18:52 16 October 2012
Line Ups: Poland v England
Ashley Cole was handed his 99th England cap for tonight’s World Cup qualifier against Poland in Warsaw.
As expected, manager Roy Hodgson made sweeping changes to his starting line-up, with six of the side that beat San Marino losing their places, including two-goal Danny Welbeck.
Cole’s return was significant because it was the first time he had been chosen since the Twitter storm erupted 11 days ago that led to the Chelsea man being charged with misconduct and forced him to apologise to Football Association chairman David Bernstein.
The 31-year-old was part of a much-changed defence, with Glen Johnson returning from suspension and Joleon Lescott chosen to partner former Everton team-mate Phil Jagielka in central defence.
Like Johnson, skipper Steven Gerrard was back after serving a one-match ban, and he too was making his 99th England appearance.
Jermain Defoe edged out Welbeck for the right to partner Wayne Rooney, having done so well in the striking role during the first two games of England’s World Cup qualification campaign.
Although Hodgson went for the added insurance of James Milner on the right after selecting Michael Carrick to partner Gerrard in central midfield, Manchester United midfielder Tom Cleverley retained his ever-present record this term, with Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain the man to stand down.
Ultimately those players were unable to get onto the field today, with the match replayed until 4pm tomorrow UK time.
- Roy Hodgson gives his verdict after Poland game postponed
- Logistics fine for England with possible Poland rematch
- England band banned from Poland clash - do you agree with the move?
- FARCE! England v Poland will start 4pm Wednesday due to waterlogged pitch
- Spurs’ Sunderland loanee hints he was racially abused after red card in ugly full time scenes as England U-21s reach Euro 2013 finals
- Liverpool legend hails young Lions conduct over alleged racist abuse
- FA condemns racist abuse in Serbia v England U-21s match
- Pearce saddened after triumph over Serbia marred by racist abuse & crowd trouble
- Video: Violence overshadows England Under-21’s win over Serbia
- Stuart Pearce: England have reported incidents of racist abuse in Serbia
- Liverpool star and England U-21 skipper condemns Serbia racist abuse
- Roof to be closed for Poland v England part two
- Polish FA offers England ticket refunds
- Chelsea and Liverpool stars get second shot at 99th cap as England side unchanged
- Man Utd and England star: We must improve to qualify for the World Cup
- Liverpool and England star: We were not at the races
- Click here for the latest sports news from around the capital
- Follow London24 Sport on Twitter for breaking news and updates
- Arsenal Latest - Opinionated blogs from Gunners fans
- All the very latest Arsenal news, features and opinion here
- Click here for the latest Arsenal transfer news
- All the very latest Chelsea news, features and opinion here.
- Click here for all the latest Chelsea transfer news
- All the latest Fulham news, features and opinion here
- Click here for all the latest Fulham transfer news
- Click here for all the latest QPR news, features and opinion
- Click here for the latest QPR transfer news
- Click here for the latest Tottenham news, features and opinion
- Click here for the latest Tottenham transfer news
- Click here for all the latest West Ham news, features and opinion
- Click here for all the latest transfer news