Search

Arsenal rule out battle with Liverpool and Real Madrid in chase for ex-Chelsea striker

07:31 14 September 2012

Didier Drogba. Photo credit: Owen Humphreys/PA Wire

Didier Drogba. Photo credit: Owen Humphreys/PA Wire

PA Wire/Press Association Images

Transfer news: Arsenal are not about to offer Didier Drogba an escape route back to England from China, manager Arsene Wenger has insisted.

After helping the Blues win the Champions League final in a dramatic penalty shoot-out, the 34-year-old Ivory Coast striker left Chelsea for Shanghai Shenhua on a lucrative free-transfer.

However, following an apparent power struggle behind the scenes at the Chinese Super League club, it had been reported Drogba was looking for a way out and could even be released from his deal, said to be worth in excess of £200,000 a week - with Liverpool and Real Madrid also possible destinations.

Those suggestions, however, have since been played down by the striker’s UK management company.

Arsenal previously tracked Drogba when he was at Le Mans and Guingamp.

Wenger, though, claims the Gunners were not preparing to go back into the market for the former Monaco frontman, who gave their defence so much trouble during his eight years at Chelsea.

“At the moment no. In my opinion he is not free. He has just left England,” said the Arsenal manager.

“I don’t know about the situation because he came out with a completely different statement.

“You hear he might go to Real Madrid - but then he says ‘I am staying in China’. Is it just because he wants to be paid off? I don’t know.”

Related articles

0 comments

Latest Sport Stories

Yesterday, 15:51
Emmanuel Adebayor

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino has Emmanuel Adebayor available for Saturday’s Premier League clash with Burnley as Spurs look to carry the momentum of the midweek thrashing of Newcastle.

Thu, 23:46
Hendon striker Leon Smith (right)

Hendon manager Gary McCann is hopeful that the club’s ‘pay what you want’ game against Wingate & Finchley on December 27 will attract local football fans down to Earlsmead.

Nabil Bentaleb (right) celebrates his first goal for Tottenham in Wednesday's 4-0 victory over Newcastle in the Capital One Cup quarter-final. Pic: Nick Potts/PA Wire

Nabil Bentaleb achieved another landmark at Tottenham this week, scoring his first goal for the club a year after his debut - and the Algeria international believes Spurs can finish in the top four this season.

Jan Vertonghen

Jan Vertonghen is pleased to have some consistency at the heart of the Tottenham defence, and he feels he is developing a strong partnership with Federico Fazio.

Most read sport

And they have a role to play in saving their species.

Twinkle, twinkle you little stars – thanks for making your homes so festive.

Offers for university places are at a record high.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Hampstead & Highgate Express e-edition today E-edition