Search

Arsenal boss blames France for Diaby KO

00:27 03 October 2012

Abou Diaby has been ruled out for three weeks with a thigh strain. Photo credit: Mike Egerton/EMPICS

Abou Diaby has been ruled out for three weeks with a thigh strain. Photo credit: Mike Egerton/EMPICS

EMPICS Sport

Arsene Wenger has accused the French Football Federation of contributing to Abou Diaby’s latest injury after the midfielder was ruled out for at least three weeks.

The 26-year-old was sidelined for all but five games of last season but after returning to full fitness in the summer he had been influential in the Gunners’ early season unbeaten start.

He limped out of the game against Chelsea on Saturday after 17 minutes which the north Londoners lost – their first defeat of the campaign – and Wenger lays some of the blame for his thigh strain at the door of the French national side, claiming Diaby wasn’t ready for the stresses of international football.

“I said many times that if France wanted Diaby in Spain [for the World Cup qualifier on October 16] they should not take him for [the qualifiers against] Finland and Belarus,” he said.

“They could have taken him but not played him because the guy has been out for a year, played four or five games.

“You have a breather, give him two weeks to recover completely. I think it was a mistake to play him with the French national team.”

Wenger added: “It is as well an opportunity for somebody else to stand up and play but it is a blow, yes.

“Not only because we lost a good player but because he has qualities that the other players haven’t got.

“For example, on Saturday when he moved out Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain comes in, takes his position straight away and loses the ball on set-pieces. This is a ball Diaby would have won easily because he has the size.

“We have better balance size-wise and strength as well because he has the power.

“It is really frustrating because once you think you get there it (an injury) happens again.”

Arsenal will run the rule over Mikel Arteta in the morning after the Spaniard missed training with an ankle injury picked up against Chelsea, while Wojciech Szczesny (ankle) faces a further three weeks out. The game will come too soon for Jack Wilshere (ankle) and Bacary Sagna (broken leg) who have both made big strides towards a return.

Related articles

0 comments

Latest Sport Stories

Manager Mauricio Pochettino of Spurs  (Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images)

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino is excited by future success despite losing to Chelsea at Wembley today.

Diego Costa celebrates Chelsea's second goal

Jose Mourinho won the first trophy of his second spell with Chelsea as the Blues beat Tottenham 2-0 in the Capital One Cup final at Wembley, avenging their 2008 defeat in the same competition.

Yesterday, 09:30
Kurt Zouma (left) is likely to partner John Terry in the centre of Chelsea's defence as Blues boss Jose Mourinho seeks to stop Harry Kane

Harry Kane will have been giving Jose Mourinho nightmares this week as he ponders ways of neutralising the best young striker in England.

Most read sport

Property Newsletter Sign-up

The latest North London property news and features straight into your inbox.

Other Emails:
Fields marked with a * are mandatory
Email Marketing by e-shot

Technology experts have been giving their verdict on the first big smartphone offerings of 2015.

The Korean smartphone giants made the announcement at their Unpacked event ahead of Mobile World Congress.

Smartphone giant has announced the new flagship One M9 ahead of Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Hampstead & Highgate Express e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24
Our trusted business finder