Search

Middlesex batsman sets his sights on regaining number three spot

13:00 19 June 2014

Middlesex

Middlesex's Joe Denly

PA Archive/Press Association Images

Joe Denly says he is determined to force his way back up the Middlesex batting order in the second half of the season.

Denly was dropped from the County Championship side after a poor run of form at the start of the campaign and, despite winning back a place in the team, he has been unable to reclaim his preferred no 3 slot.

The 28-year-old, who has been batting at five or six instead, admits he needs to weigh in with some sizeable scores very soon – and he hopes that will push him back into contention for his previous role.

“It was a tough period,” said Denly. “I didn’t get many runs in the pre-season friendlies and I didn’t have a great deal of confidence going into the season.

“Everyone starts the year with a clean slate and whoever scores runs early on is going to get the nod. Other people who had scored runs got selected and that was fair enough.

“Dawid Malan went up to three and he’s scored some runs. So have Eoin Morgan and Neil Dexter – so the only position left to come in was six and there’s still a lot of responsibility there, especially if you lose a couple of wickets early on.

“But it’s all about trying to score runs to get back up the order. I feel I owe it to the coaches and my team-mates to put in some big performances in the second half of the season and try and achieve that.

“I’ve almost gone back to just not thinking about things too much – it’s a case of doing the basics, watching the ball and playing it.”

As well as trying to move back up the order, Denly’s added incentive for amassing runs during the coming months is to help maintain Middlesex’s title challenge right to the end.

The former Kent batsman was part of the side that, last year, appeared to be in the running for the County Championship crown until their last few games, when they fell away and eventually finished fifth.

“We can’t look too far ahead,” added Denly. “Every team you come up against is very strong and it’s very tight up there – the top four or five are so close.

“People probably didn’t have Durham down as title contenders last year, but the run they went on in the second half of the season was incredible and once they got on a roll they couldn’t be stopped.

“We’ve got the team to do that – in my opinion we’ve got the best bowling attack in the country and we need to be consistent. There’s certainly belief in the team that we can do it.”

Denly struck an undefeated 98 to help Middlesex finally break their duck in the NatWest T20 Blast on Wednesday night as they beat Somerset by eight wickets at the Oval.

The Panthers, who had lost their first six games in the South group, restricted Somerset to 152-4 in their 20 overs before Denly and debutant Ryan Higgins (44 not out) saw them home with 17 balls to spare.

Latest Sport Stories

17:49
Belsize Park captain Tom House scored his side's first try. Pic: Paolo Minoli

Ben Parker scored Belsize Park’s fourth try with the last play of the game as the hosts secured a bonus point in a 28-10 victory against Wasps, which took them up into second place in London North-West Division Three.

16:53
Dan Dimoline's second conversion hit the post as Hampstead unfortunately missed the chance to go ahead in the second half. Pic: Paolo Minoli

Hampstead missed out on a fourth consecutive league win and a place in the top four after a poor first-half display condemned them to an 18-15 home defeat against Hammersmith & Fulham in London North-West Division Two.

16:07
Laurent Stephenson (centre) scored UCS Old Boys' opening try. Pic: Paolo Minoli

UCS Old Boys overcame basement boys Old Streetonians 24-14 to earn their first away win of the season and jump two places up the table in London North-West Division Three.

The Ham&High's Wingate & Finchley blogger Simon Swingler

The Ham&High’s Wingate & Finchley blogger Simon Swingler looks back on Saturday’s trip to Suffolk and the 2-0 defeat away against promotion challengers Leiston.

Most read sport

Fears over growing extremist threat that is expected to continue for several years.

Once inside, one man held a seven-inch kitchen knife to a victim’s throat while another threatened a second victim with a knife.

His lawyers want the case against him in South Africa dropped.

It’s that time of year again, who do you think should win the Sports Personality of the Year award?

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Hampstead & Highgate Express e-edition today E-edition