March 9 2014 Latest news:
By Ben Pearce, Tottenham correspondent
Friday, January 10, 2014
Tim Sherwood is hoping to have four attacking players back in his squad for tomorrow’s home game against Crystal Palace, but he admits he is still short of defensive options.
Speaking at today’s press conference, the head coach said: “We’ve got a few coming back. Jermain Defoe will be in contention tomorrow, Andros Townsend is in contention tomorrow – so are Lewis Holtby and Gylfi Sigurdsson.
“It is looking healthier, [we’ve got] more offensive players rather than the boys like Michael Dawson and Vlad [Chiriches], who have had to churn out all of those games over the Christmas period.
“There’s not much good news on the defensive front so far. Younes Kaboul is back into training but he won’t be in contention. We’re hoping in the next week or so that there might be a few more [back] and we might be up to full strength very soon.”
Despite his shortage of centre-backs, Sherwood does not expect Spurs to dip into the transfer market to add to his options in the rearguard.
“It’s really difficult to get someone of the quality we need at Tottenham for a short period of time,” he said. “People want long contracts.
“To find players who are better than the ones we’ve got for a short period is almost impossible, so there won’t be any delving into the market for defensive players, especially on a permanent basis - unless something happens dramatically to the players who are out and they have a setback. But when they’re all back fit we’ve got enough.”
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs