August 29 2014 Latest news:
By Ben Pearce, Tottenham correspondent
Friday, January 31, 2014
Tim Sherwood insists that Lewis Holtby has a future at Tottenham, despite the midfielder’s loan move to Fulham.
Holtby has been out of favour since Sherwood replaced Andre Villas-Boas as head coach, with the German making just one start and two substitute appearances in the last nine games.
The 23-year-old, who only signed for Spurs last January, has now left White Hart Lane to spend the second half of the season on loan at Fulham – but Sherwood says Tottenham “look forward to welcoming him back in the summer”.
“I’ve said previously that, in my opinion, we’re pretty strong in that area of the field,” said Sherwood. “The last thing I want to do is to stop players who I don’t see featuring on a regular basis, and I think he’s a good lad who warrants a start. He’s certainly one that I sanctioned to be able to leave the club.
“Has he got a future here? I think he has, yes. It will be great for him now at Fulham to play regular football.
“I can’t see him not playing regular football in Fulham’s side, and he will benefit from the half a season he’s got left playing in the Premier League. We look forward to welcoming him back in the summer.”
Holtby’s agent Marcus Noack said: “Fulham has put much effort into Lewis. It is a very well-run club with an excellent manager, Rene Meulensteen. The system and philosophy how Fulham plays fits well with Lewis.
“He will have match practice in the second half of the season in his favourite position and then we’ll see how things are going by summer.
“A return to the Bundesliga has been shattered due to circumstances we couldn’t control.”
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs