March 10 2014 Latest news:
Friday, December 13, 2013
Arsenal are optimistic that Bacary Sagna will commit to a new contract.
Manager Arsene Wenger revealed that the full back could to pledge his future to the Gunners in the next fortnight.
The 30-year-old is out of contract in the summer and he had been linked to a move back to his homeland with Monaco and Paris Saint Germain reported as potential destinations.
Asked whether the club were closer to resolving his future, Wenger said: “Yes, that could be decided in next two weeks. It looks positive. It would be a great boost, of course.”
The manager is also hopeful that Sagna will be available for tomorrow’s trip to Manchester City.
He said: “We have some doubts, the doubts we have about Sagna, who will have a test today and after that I will make the decision do I take him with us or not. I am optimistic but it’s my nature.”
Podolski is also available but Wenger is unlikely to throw him in against a City side that have won all seven of the Premier League home games this term, scoring 29 goals.
The manager said: “I feel he is still a bit short to go into a match of that level of intensity but after this weekend I will consider him to just be available.”
England forward Theo Walcott is pressing for a first start since his recovery from minor abdominal surgery.
The 24-year-old has announced he and wife Mel are expecting their first child, which is due early next summer.
The couple said in a statement: “We are both very excited at such happy news just a few months after getting married. We are really looking forward to becoming parents.”