Search

West Hampstead stroke victim waits 3 hours for an ambulance

12:53 26 April 2012

Kate and John O

Kate and John O'Shea at the Royal Free Hospital. Picture Polly Hancock

Polly Hancock

A 79-year-old man was left in agonising pain as he suffered a stroke that partially blinded him while he waited hours for an ambulance to arrive.

The wife of stroke victim John O’Shea could only watch helplessly as he writhed in pain while blood poured from his right eye at their bungalow in Brassey Road, West Hampstead.

Retired nurse Kate O’Shea, 74, has written to health secretary Andrew Lansley railing at the lack of resources that left her husband without medical attention for three hours.

She said: “We have relied on the NHS and we’ve been very appreciative of it, but this situation where the budget has been cut across every aspect of the NHS is just unbearable.

“The ambulance people told me ‘It’s not only happening to you but lots of people and we just don’t know what to do - we’re trying to figure out who we have to take and who to say no to’. That’s a terrible situation.”

On Easter Monday at 2am retired dental technician Mr O’Shea woke up suffering a piercing pain in his head and 20 minutes later he lost the sight from his eye.

Fearing he had a brain tumour, his wife contacted the out of hours GP service but was told to ring 999.

Despite placing an emergency call at 2.02am the couple was forced to endure an excruciating wait as operators told them an ambulance had been diverted to a life-threatening situation.

Mrs O’Shea, who uses a wheelchair because of rheumatoid arthritis, said: “I was just so upset by the extent of his pain. He was clutching his head, saying ‘I can’t stand it, I can’t stand it’.”

An ambulance finally arrived between 5.15am and 5.30am and took Mr O’Shea to the Royal Free Hospital, where it was confirmed he had suffered a mini-stroke caused by a brain haemorrhage.

His memory and sight have both been affected and he is not expected to return home for at least two months.

Although consultants confirmed that the type of stroke Mr O’Shea suffered was not worsened by the delay in the ambulance arriving, his wife said the extent of the pain he suffered without treatment was unacceptable.

A spokeswoman for the London Ambulance Service (LAS) claimed that an ambulance reached the scene at 4.46am.

She said: “Our call taker was able to confirm that the patient was conscious and alert, but unfortunately we were not able to attend immediately.

“We would like to apologise for the delay in reaching the patient, and for any distress caused to him or his family.”

LAS invited the O’Sheas to contact the patient experiences department on 020 3069 0240.

0 comments

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 17:44
Community campaigners, including Tom Conti, protested outside the site of the proposed new Tesco in Belsize. Picture: Polly Hancock

A campaign backed by a number of high-profile actors to prevent Tesco from opening a new store in Belsize Park has ended in victory after the supermarket chain announced it had abandoned its plans.

Yesterday, 17:15
Blogger Laila Swann has been chosen from 750 hopefuls for the unique job

A young Hampstead woman has beaten more than 750 hopefuls to a “once-in-a-lifetime opportunity” that will see her sent around the world to date men from different cultures and pick up the world’s best dating tips.

Yesterday, 16:25
Thomas Radice, a trustee of the Proms at St Jude’s Music & Literary Festival

The Proms at St Jude’s Music & Literary Festival will offer attendees more than just music and literature.

Yesterday, 12:25
Eric Joyce in police custody.

Disgraced former MP Eric Joyce has avoided jail having been convicted of attacking two teenagers in an “unjustified and unprovoked” assault in a Camden shop.

Most read news

Property Newsletter Sign-up

The latest North London property news and features straight into your inbox.

Other Emails:
Fields marked with a * are mandatory
Email Marketing by e-shot

Competitions

The sell out 2014 event 32 Londoners, returns to the Coca-Cola London Eye!

The Coca-Cola London Eye is proud to announce that 32 Londoners will be returning this June, following last year’s sell out event. The event will feature 32 talks, in each of the London Eye’s 32 capsules on 32 extraordinary Londoners.

You could take in stunning views of London over brunch at the Sky Garden

Celebrate lighter, brighter days with the chance of winning an indulgent brunch for two with a bottle of bubbles at Darwin, the cool and casual brasserie 36 floors up at Sky Garden.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Hampstead & Highgate Express e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24


Our trusted business finder