Report finds Haringey council’s luxury yacht trip actually cost taxpayers £9k

07:00 27 March 2014

Councillor Alan Strickland was one of the three-strong team who attended the property conference in Cannes.

Councillor Alan Strickland was one of the three-strong team who attended the property conference in Cannes.


Haringey Council’s ability to count has been thrown into question after it transpired the amount spent sending staff to Cannes cost the taxpayer triple the amount it originally claimed.

Last week, the council insisted only £3,000 of public money was used to fund the three-day trip to property conference MIPIM, hosted on a luxury yacht in the French Riviera.

But an investigation, called for by the Liberal Democrats, has revealed taxpayers will in fact be footing a £9,000 bill – with the total cost for the trip coming in at £22,000.

Indeed, the original £3,000 figure is only just enough to cover travel and accommodation expenses for cabinet member Cllr Alan Strickland and the director of regeneration Lyn Garner.

Lib Dem group leader Cllr Richard Wilson said: “Regeneration should be about improving the lives of ordinary local residents, not hobnobbing with wealthy developers on a luxury yacht in Cannes. This scandal shows just how out of touch Haringey’s Labour councillors are with local people.”

In a breakdown of the figures, the report shows the council received £13,000 in sponsorship from various private companies to send Cllr Alan Strickland and Ms Garner to Cannes.

Some £1,731 was spent on accommodation for two nights and £1,541 on travel in addition to the £18,800 price tag for attending the conference.

Haringey’s chief executive Nick Walkley covered his own expenses. Eyebrows have also been raised about the trip as it was not discussed with the council’s cabinet. The report put this down to a “genuine misunderstanding” of council protocol.

But the council has continued to defend its actions – pointing out the event, hosted by Arup, which has worked with them to develop regeneration plans in Tottenham, was attended by 43 authorities around the country.

At Monday’s full council meeting, council leader Cllr Claire Kober reiterated it was an important opportunity for them to meet with developers and investors.

She said: “I would argue that it is right that we were there and it is right that we are transparent about what we do. We are committed to publishing decisions and costs associated with them.”

Lee Valley Estates has backed up the council’s decision, saying it is “vital” Tottenham is represented at major evens like MIPIM to be taken seriously with major investors.

Neale Coleman, mayoral advisor on Tottenham, added: “MIPIM is a unique opportunity for public authorities to speak to potential investors about building new homes, bringing new jobs and supporting transport and social investment in areas like Tottenham.”

“It must make sense for Haringey to be taking advantage of that.”

The council was unwilling to be drawn on why it did not chose to attend the London conference later this year instead.


Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 15:35
Kato Harris will appear at Isleworth Crown Court next Tuesday

This is the first picture of teacher Kato Harris who has appeared in court accused of repeatedly raping an underage girl.

Yesterday, 17:10
Actresses Juliet Stevenson and Michelle Collins with volunteers and Alexandra's mum Lindsey Wylie from the Alexandra Wylie Tower Foundation (AWTF) launch the Christmas food parcel appeal. Picture: Polly Hancock

A charity is marking the fifth anniversary of a Highgate schoolgirl’s death from cancer with the launch of a Christmas appeal to help children left without support following the closure of Kids Company.

Yesterday, 12:53
Victims of the contaminated blood scandal: (left) Nick Hirsch, (right, from top) Clair Walton and her late husband, Colette Wintle and Mark Ward

Timetable for settlement on NHS scandal has slipped yet again say campaigners - as they wait to see if cash is allocated in chancellor’s autumn spending review

Yesterday, 08:46
The London Fire Brigade has put forward proposals to axe 13 fire engines to save £11million

‘While a new website would be welcome, this should not be done at the cost of frontline cuts’ says fire resources committee chief

Tue, 18:01
Khayerul Miah, pictured, and his brother have joined IS in Syria

The two young men from Kentish Town who left the UK to fight for Islamic State (IS) in Syria are former pupils of Acland Burghley School.

Tue, 16:46
The government says the HPV vaccine is safe and will protect against deaths from cervical cancer

East Finchley mother accuses pharmaceutical industry and government of ‘ignoring generation of sick girls’ as European Medicines Agency finds no link between illnesses and cervical cancer jab

Tue, 15:58
Carl Ryan, who is charged with misconduct in a public office, outside court (Picture: Central News)

A detective who faked records - including witness statements by Whittington Hospital staff - thwarted three investigations into serious sex assaults, a court heard.

Most read news

Property Newsletter Sign-up

Get the latest North London property news and features straight to your inbox with our regular newsletter

I am also happy to receive other emails...
Fields marked with a * are mandatory
Email Marketing by e-shot


Tesco - Every little helps

Would you like to have the opportunity to win a huge £2,500 to spend at Tesco? Well with this amazing prize you can do exactly that! MyOffers are giving you the chance to get your hands on £2,500 to spend on anything you desire may it be free weekly groceries for the foreseeable future, a new TV, home decoration or even a new sofa!

You could get your hands on the new Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge!

Here’s your chance to win one of the most feature-packed smartphones on the planet, from tech giants Samsung, The Samsung S6 Edge!

Digital Edition

Read the Hampstead & Highgate Express e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder