Search

Lollipop man sacked after ‘racist’ King Kong jibe

09:58 17 April 2014

Jon Seymour. Picture: Nigel Sutton.

Jon Seymour. Picture: Nigel Sutton.

Nigel Sutton 17 Redington Rd London NW3 7QX Tel 020 7794 3008 e.mail n.sutton@btinternet.com

A long-serving lollipop man from a Camden primary school has been sacked by the council following allegations he racially abused a council employee.

Jon Seymour was dismissed by Camden Council last week for gross misconduct having served as a lollipop man at Carlton Primary School, in Grafton Road, Kentish Town, since 1994.

Mr Seymour had been suspended by the council since July after an altercation with a black member of staff whom he called “King Kong”.

Following the decision last Friday, Trinidad-born Mr Seymour told the Ham&High: “It was not racial. I said he was angry like King Kong. No one looks like King Kong. “I apologised to him and we shook hands after, but Camden wanted to take it further for some reason.”

Last week, the council held an internal disciplinary hearing, after which it was ruled that Mr Seymour was in breach of the council’s code of conduct for 
employees.

Louise McBride, chairman of the hearing, sacked Mr Seymour having considered the allegations of an altercation between the former lollipop man and a council officer at the Town Hall Extension, in King’s Cross, on July 17.

Mr Seymour was also accused of breaching the code of conduct for bringing his suspension to the attention of the press through a story published by the Ham&High last year.

Dismissing Mr Seymour with immediate effect, Ms McBride said: “I am satisfied on the basis of the information obtained during the investigation that this complaint is upheld on the basis that your behaviour was both physically and verbally aggressive and threatening and that you used 
insulting language.”

Mr Seymour said the altercation last year was sparked after he was asked to quieten down by a council officer having entered the reception of the Town Hall Extension speaking loudly on his mobile phone. He claims the officer interrupted his conversation before he was escorted from the building by two security officers.

Mr Seymour now plans to 
appeal the council’s decision, adding: “I’m not going to leave it 
lying, I want people to know what Camden is about.

“I think what they did to me was wrong. I’ve been there almost 20 years and never had a warning. I haven’t had any problems with anyone else.”

A council spokesman said: “Camden has a code of conduct which sets out how staff are 
expected to behave towards the public and other members of staff. We can confirm that a member of staff was dismissed from the council for gross misconduct.

“We are unable to comment further at this stage as the dismissal may be subject to an appeal to elected members.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Hampstead Highgate Express visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Hampstead Highgate Express staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Hampstead Highgate Express account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 17:00
Basement developments have caused huge problems for neighbours. Picture: Polly Hancock.

Relieved residents have welcomed plans from Camden Council to emulate a landmark policy from another London borough to outlaw the construction of so-called “mega basements”.

Yesterday, 15:45
Medi's parents Mehdi Mehra and Mary-Anne Bowring with headteacher Lewis Heyward (centre) and UCS pupils. Picture: Polly Hancock

A football-mad schoolboy tragically killed in a freak horseriding accident is to be remembered for decades to come following the launch of an annual sports tournament in his name.

Yesterday, 15:39
Cllr Don Williams. Picture: Nigel Sutton.

Discovering that you are indebted to the opposition must be a politician’s worst nightmare.

Yesterday, 14:28
In six weeks, the borough will go to the polls Pic: PA

The election campaign officially starts at the end of March – but the battle for hearts, minds and votes started long ago. Political editor Annabelle Dickson sets out her guide

Most read news

Property Newsletter Sign-up

The latest North London property news and features straight into your inbox.

Other Emails:
Fields marked with a * are mandatory
Email Marketing by e-shot

Unless you count Jeremy Paxman v EVERYBODY.

Being registered to vote is so important that even Silent Jay has something to say about it.

But the law isn’t clear about what age a child can be left alone. Confused? You’re not the only one.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Hampstead & Highgate Express e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24


Our trusted business finder