Lighterman’s dirty extraction system causes fire in Granary Square, King’s Cross
PUBLISHED: 10:11 17 May 2018 | UPDATED: 08:26 21 May 2018
A gastropub’s dirty extraction system caused a fire in Granary Square, King’s Cross, last night.
Crews were called to the plush Lighterman pub at 5.30pm and it took almost two hours to get the blaze under control.
London Fire Brigade said it was caused by fat and oil in the ducting being ignited by a wood burner.
Open House, which runs the pub, said the extraction ducting was last cleaned on April 13.
Part of the kitchen, most of a ground floor store room, half a first floor store room and all the ducting from the lower ground floor to the roof were damaged in the fire. There were no injuries.
A brigade spokesperson warned: “Restaurant and take-away owners should always take care to make sure their extraction systems are kept clean as a build up of fat and grease within the filters can lead to a fire.”
Four fire engines and 21 crew members from Euston, Kentish Town and Islington fire stations attended the blaze.