Hampstead IT consultant ‘hunted like suicide bomber’ and wrongly sectioned on secure psychiatric ward

08:00 09 January 2014

Aaron Dover has threatened legal action after he was wrongly sectioned on a maximum security psychiatric ward. Picture: Polly Hancock

Aaron Dover has threatened legal action after he was wrongly sectioned on a maximum security psychiatric ward. Picture: Polly Hancock

Polly Hancock

A man is threatening legal action after he was wrongfully sectioned on a high security psychiatric ward following a major police hunt.

"I was hunted down like a nuclear suicide bomber rather than someone out for Sunday breakfast"

Aaron Dover

Hampstead resident Aaron Dover has spoken of his incarceration at Highgate Mental Health Centre in a bid to raise public awareness of the complexities of mental health issues.

The 39-year-old IT consultant was sectioned against his will last September and forced to take anti-psychotic drugs daily while he was in hospital. But within two weeks a tribunal found his detention was not justified and he walked free.

Mr Dover, who lives in Keats Grove, Hampstead, relived the drama of the day he was captured and told the Ham&High: “I was brought into hospital by a major police manhunt of over 10 police cars, police with dogs trawling Hampstead Heath, and a police helicopter, while I was out quietly having a coffee on Flask Walk.

“The police escalated to a ‘high risk missing person’ manhunt. I was hunted down like a nuclear suicide bomber rather than someone out for Sunday breakfast.”

The former University College School student had been under intense pressure due to an employment dispute and had at times suffered from depression.

On September 15, his wife called the NHS 111 out-of-hours number concerned for his wellbeing.

Authorities feared he may be suicidal and within the hour he was tracked down by police in Grove Place, Hampstead.

The IT consultant was taken to Highgate Mental Health Centre where doctors suspected he had a delusional disorder and eight days later he was sectioned.

Mr Dover, an intermittent user of cannabis for 24 years including highly potent skunk, admits he was under intense stress but believes his sectioning was based on hearsay and not enough was done to verify his account of events.

On October 2, following a five hour hearing, a tribunal found that it was “not satisfied that he was suffering from a mental disorder”.

He was freed immediately with no further treatment required.

Mr Dover is now consulting lawyers about a case for unlawful detention, medical negligence and personal injury.
Solicitor José Grayson, of DH Law, who represented Mr Dover at the tribunal, said: “The hospital had simply failed to properly investigate what Aaron was saying.

“It is now some months since Aaron’s discharge. If they were right about the fact that he had a serious psychotic illness then he would be back in hospital.”

Jonny Simmons, founder of website Pure Thought, said: “It reveals just how fragile anyone’s life is and how any one of us could find ourselves, if a few circumstances turn against us, at the wrong end of mental health services in the UK.”

A spokesman for Highgate Mental Health Centre said: “The tribunal make a decision on whether further detention is warranted based on the assessment to date and their own interviews.

“The decision that no further detention is needed does not make the original detention for assessment wrong or illegal as without the assessment the tribunal would not have had the evidence on which to base their evaluation.”


Latest News Stories

Kato Harris will appear at Isleworth Crown Court next Tuesday

This is the first picture of teacher Kato Harris who has appeared in court accused of repeatedly raping an underage girl.

Actresses Juliet Stevenson and Michelle Collins with volunteers and Alexandra's mum Lindsey Wylie from the Alexandra Wylie Tower Foundation (AWTF) launch the Christmas food parcel appeal. Picture: Polly Hancock

A charity is marking the fifth anniversary of a Highgate schoolgirl’s death from cancer with the launch of a Christmas appeal to help children left without support following the closure of Kids Company.

Victims of the contaminated blood scandal: (left) Nick Hirsch, (right, from top) Clair Walton and her late husband, Colette Wintle and Mark Ward

Timetable for settlement on NHS scandal has slipped yet again say campaigners - as they wait to see if cash is allocated in chancellor’s autumn spending review

The London Fire Brigade has put forward proposals to axe 13 fire engines to save £11million

‘While a new website would be welcome, this should not be done at the cost of frontline cuts’ says fire resources committee chief

Yesterday, 18:01
Khayerul Miah, pictured, and his brother have joined IS in Syria

The two young men from Kentish Town who left the UK to fight for Islamic State (IS) in Syria are former pupils of Acland Burghley School.

Yesterday, 16:46
The government says the HPV vaccine is safe and will protect against deaths from cervical cancer

East Finchley mother accuses pharmaceutical industry and government of ‘ignoring generation of sick girls’ as European Medicines Agency finds no link between illnesses and cervical cancer jab

Yesterday, 15:58
Carl Ryan, who is charged with misconduct in a public office, outside court (Picture: Central News)

A detective who faked records - including witness statements by Whittington Hospital staff - thwarted three investigations into serious sex assaults, a court heard.

Yesterday, 12:18
Firefighters from West Hampstead were called to tackle the large blaze in Finchley Road - which burned for 72 hours

West Hampstead and Hornsey fire stations could both lose an engine under controversial cost-cutting proposals

Most read news

Property Newsletter Sign-up

Get the latest North London property news and features straight to your inbox with our regular newsletter

I am also happy to receive other emails...
Fields marked with a * are mandatory
Email Marketing by e-shot


Tesco - Every little helps

Would you like to have the opportunity to win a huge £2,500 to spend at Tesco? Well with this amazing prize you can do exactly that! MyOffers are giving you the chance to get your hands on £2,500 to spend on anything you desire may it be free weekly groceries for the foreseeable future, a new TV, home decoration or even a new sofa!

You could get your hands on the new Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge!

Here’s your chance to win one of the most feature-packed smartphones on the planet, from tech giants Samsung, The Samsung S6 Edge!

Digital Edition

Read the Hampstead & Highgate Express e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder