Search

Haringey under fire for trying to block contact between siblings

15:06 17 April 2014

The case is taking place at the High Court. File picture: PA Wire

The case is taking place at the High Court. File picture: PA Wire

PA Wire/Press Association Images

Haringey Council is once again in the firing line after it was revealed it stopped a group of abused siblings seeing each other - despite a High Court ruling to the contrary.

Mr Justice Holman has ordered the council to apologise to the siblings and their parents - who are both serving prison sentences after being convicted of offences against their children.

The judge, sitting at the High Court last Wednesday, April 16, said the results of the “systematic corporate failure” were likely to be “frankly catastrophic”.

He added he was “shocked and baffled” and the position the children had been left in was one of “great gravity”, saying: “The essential failures in this case almost beggar belief.”

Mr Justice Holman told the Family Division of the High Court that another judge had ruled - after making welfare decisions nearly two years ago - the two youngest children must stay in contact with the five older children.

The younger children, aged two and three, are to be adopted, while the older children are in foster care.

But he was told that the council had ended contact between the two groups of children in December 2013 following a “professionals meeting” - and no-one had taken legal advice.

The judge - who named the family as Musa - also said a case reviewing officer had been appointed - and that officer had failed to protect the children.

Mr Justice Holman said it would be “extraordinarily difficult” for the two groups of children to resume contact.

Lawyers representing the council apologised at the hearing, while a senior manager at Haringey said “internal processes” would be reviewed.

Elaine Redding, assistant director of children and young people’s service, said in a statement: “There was well intentioned change effected around the planning for these children which incorrectly failed to take into account the legal framework.

“It is clear that aspects of the team’s compliance with court orders made in respect of the children fell unacceptably short of good practice.”

Ms Redding added: “I am satisfied that in this case there was good liaison between professionals to support the children’s welfare needs, regular direct liaison between the social work and adoption teams and that the required look after children reviews took place.

“It is however unclear to me precisely when the decision was made.”

However, the judge said: “Judges should avoid cynicism. But I cannot help observe how often in recent decades one has read or heard of local authorities learning lessons.”

A Haringey Council spokesman said it “fully recognises” it did not follow correct procedures in this case.

+ The case is on-going.

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 18:17
Geoffrey Lederman leaving Blackfriars Crown Court. Picture: Dieter Perry.

An 85-year-old man who lost control of his car and ploughed into a young mother has been jailed for 18 months and given a lifetime driving ban for causing death by dangerous driving.

Yesterday, 15:30
Cllr Jonathan Simpson, cabinet member for community safety, with some of the seized goods

Fake designer handbags and watches normally worth hundreds of thousands of pounds were among hundreds of items seized in a Christmas crackdown on sales of counterfeit goods in Camden and Barnet.

Yesterday, 17:00
Maria Fidelis School in North Gower Street

A Catholic secondary school is to get a new building to minimise the impact of the High Speed (HS2) rail project on children’s education.

Yesterday, 15:13
Denton Estate resident Eileen Bromwich, 77, and pupils Louise Warman, 13, Kayshen Azevedo, 13, and Adam O'Leary, 13. Picture: Polly Hancock

Teenagers delivered hampers full of food to elderly residents in a gesture of festive generosity to make sure they do not miss out on Christmas treats.

Most read news

Janey Godley was caught up in the major road incident at George Square today, and gave her testimony of what she saw.

The former QPR and Burnley player was reportedly involved in a serious incident involving a lorry in North Yorkshire.

Ringo Starr, Bette Midler, Steven Tyler and Boy George are among the many musicians paying tribute to the Sheffield singer.

People are paying tribute after the rock and blues legend Joe Cocker has passed away.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Hampstead & Highgate Express e-edition today E-edition