Search

Game of Thrones star Sean Bean joins battle against Swiss Cottage tower block

07:00 03 April 2014

Campaigners say Game of Thrones star Sean Bean is concerned over the prospect of having a 24-storey tower looming above his home in Belsize Park. Picture: Kevin Winter

Campaigners say Game of Thrones star Sean Bean is concerned over the prospect of having a 24-storey tower looming above his home in Belsize Park. Picture: Kevin Winter

2005 Getty Images

Developers proposing to bulldoze the Ham&High building and replace it with a 24-storey residential tower block have had a rocky start since they submitted their planning bid two weeks ago.

First, Camden Council’s planning website broke down, leaving residents unable to see the designs.

Then it was revealed comments submitted by those concerned about the development “went missing”.

This was blamed on the council’s malfunctioning IT system.

Finally, a promise to put the plans in Swiss Cottage Library failed to materialise.

But a PR’s worst nightmare could now come true for developer Essential Living as opposition campaigners told Heathman they had the backing of a number of celebrity residents – and if you want someone fighting your corner you can’t get much better than Prince Charles and actor Sean Bean.

While the future King has recently publicly derided residential tower blocks similar to the one proposed in Avenue Road, the Game of Thrones actor is said to be fuming over the idea that “the highest residential block in Camden” could be looming above his house in Belsize Park.

A campaigner said there are thought to be about half a dozen other high-profile residents ready to oppose the tower block.

0 comments

Latest News Stories

18:21
Police officers investigating the death of pensioner Philip Silverstone at Spencer House sheltered flats in Belsize Park Gardens last year. Picture: Nigel Sutton

A man on trial for murdering a Belsize pensioner in his own home has been found dead in his prison cell.

14:33
Barmaid Natalia Czekaj was stabbed to death at her home

Drinkers at a pub in West Hampstead have launched a fundraising appeal to help repatriate the body of a former barmaid found stabbed to death at her home.

Dr Michael Jacobs and Pauline Cafferkey, who has made a complete recovery from Ebola and been discharged from the Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead. Picture: Scotland on Sunday/Lisa Ferguson

A Scottish nurse who was being treated for Ebola at the Royal Free Hospital has made a complete recovery and is now free of the virus.

Dr Dhanuson Dharmasena leaves Southwark Crown Court. Picture: PA

A young mother who allegedly had female genital mutilation (FGM) performed on her at the Whittington Hospital was “let down” by medics, a midwife has told jurors.

Most read news

Fonejacker has nothing on these lot.

Flights are being cancelled, schools are being closed, and America’s northeast is getting prepared for a lot of snow.

Cinematic classics get a right-wing twist from Twitter. The results are thoroughly amusing.

Michael Brown, 71, says his work to protect women from domestic abuse has helped him deal with the grief felt over his daughter’s death.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Hampstead & Highgate Express e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24
Our trusted business finder