Firefighters give all clear after chemical scare at sushi restaurant in Chalk Farm
PUBLISHED: 17:17 19 June 2014
Firefighters rushed to a sushi restaurant amid reports of a chemical scare in Chalk Farm this afternoon.
A strong smell of chemicals was said to be emanating from the basement of Feng Sushi at the junction of Adelaide Road and Chalk Farm Road.
About 20 firefighters were called to the four-storey building, which also houses offices and flats, at about 2.10pm.
Office workers were reportedly coughing from the fumes and one man suffering from breathing problems was treated by the London Ambulance Service.
Zoe Loughney, 30, a barmaid at The Enterprise pub opposite, said: “There was a big commotion outside as the area was cordoned off. We just heard sirens and saw lots of people standing around.”
Firefighters wearing protective suits entered the restaurant to establish the cause of the smell. Nothing harmful was found.
Dan Hart, 26, from the Kentish Town fire station, said: “We entered the scene with breathing apparatus as part of the gas detection team and established that there were no dangerous fumes.”
Two fire engines and two fire rescue units attended the scene, from Kentish Town, Euston, Finchley and Bethnal Green stations.
A spokesman from the London Fire Brigade said: “We were called at 2.10pm to reports of a strong smell of chemicals and it was all over by about 3.40pm.
“There was a strong smell of chemicals emanating from the basement of the restaurant.
“Firefighters wearing protective suits carried out tests to establish the cause of the smell. No ‘elevated readings’ were found – which means they didn’t find anything harmful.
“They established the building was safe and left the scene.
“Staff in the building had been coughing from the smell of chemicals.
“The London Ambulance Service was there as well. They treated one man who was conscious and breathing, suffering from breathing problems from the smell of fumes.”
The spokesman added that cleaning products may have been responsible for the chemical odour.