Search

Kilburn man convicted of making drunken prank 999 calls - again

14:23 09 November 2010

Magnus Ebbesson made prank 999 calls in seven months

Magnus Ebbesson made prank 999 calls in seven months

2010 Getty Images

Swede was serving a suspended sentence for making hoax bomb threats when he made 120 more calls in seven months

A CONVICTED bomb hoaxer who made more than 120 prank calls to the emergency services during a seven-month long campaign has avoided jail again.

Southwark Crown Court heard Magnus Ebbesson, 35, of Buckley Road, Kilburn, was already serving a suspended prison sentence for making bomb threats to a major London hotel and department store when he embarked on his latest spree.

In dozens of drunken 999 calls, the Swede made a series of dramatic claims, at one point stating that his friend had been stabbed.

Prosecutors estimate that more than five-and-a-half hours was wasted dealing with the calls, potentially endangering the lives of genuinely sick people.

But judge Gregory Stone, QC, decided to suspend a four month prison sentence after hearing Ebbesson is planning to go into rehab and is attending alcoholics anonymous.

The judge told him: “You have come within a fraction of a millimetre of going to prison, and that if it happened would be for a significant period of time.

“The charge is wasting police time, but the real vice of this offence is that you could be taking emergency service time from people who genuinely need, and in those circumstances lives can be lost that can otherwise be saved.

“I have been persuaded, but only just, to give you another chance. If I ever have to deal with you again, you will be going to prison so fast that your feet won’t touch the ground.”

Ebbesson admitted a single count of causing a wasteful employment to the police between January 26 and August 15 this year.

He was also ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work.

Most read news

The billionaire businessman is joining his team in the Mojave desert.

“Space is hard and today was a tough day.”

One pilot is dead and another seriously injured after the craft exploded over the Mojave desert.

One pilot has died and another is seriously injured after a rocket belonging to billionaire Sir Richard Branson’s space tourism venture crashed during a test flight. Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo rocket came down in the Mojave Desert in California. An eyewitness reported that the craft exploded in flight after ignition. A Virgin Galactic spokesman said the […]

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Hampstead & Highgate Express e-edition today E-edition