Search

Firm guilty of safety breach after St John’s Wood families suffer carbon monoxide poisoning

12:00 08 December 2012

Apollo Property Services

Apollo Property Services' contractors had covered over a chimney, the court heard

PA Wire/Press Association Images

A firm which hired bungling builders who left a boiler pumping deadly carbon monoxide into a flat during a botched renovation is facing an unlimited fine.

Contractors employed by Apollo Property Services covered over a chimney while replacing felt covering on the roof of a block of flats in the Abbey Estate off Abbey Road, St John’s Wood, the Old Bailey heard.

Two families had to be rushed to hospital following the blunder. They believed they were coming down with flu, but within hours two people had collapsed and others were experiencing severe symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The company, registered in Church Street, Waltham Abbey, Essex, denied failing to discharge a duty under the Health and Safety at Work Act to persons not in their employment, but were found guilty following a trial.

Judge John Bevan QC adjourned sentencing on Thursday until December 17 and asked to be provided with a breakdown of the company’s turnover, profits and directors’ salaries. Bosses may also be ordered to pay compensation to the two families.

Apollo was the principle contractor employed to refurbish the Camden Council-owned Exonbury low-rise block on March 17, 2008.

“In simple terms, they covered over where a chimney had been,” prosecutor Claire Harden told the court.

“It was live and it was used by a boiler present in one of the flats. When it was covered the boiler couldn’t work properly. There was nowhere for gases to escape, other than back into the flat.”

One of the residents woke at 1am with a severe headache, collapsing in the kitchen when she went to get some painkillers, the court heard. her husband and son were also affected, but managed to open a window allowing some of the fumes to escape.

Tony Leach, Apollo’s health and safety director, said: “We fully accept the decision of the jury and would like to take this opportunity to apologise unreservedly to the families affected by this incident.

“Safety is our number one priority and this was an isolated incident involving work carried out by a subcontractor operating outside of our approved methods.

“We have carried out a full review of all our procedures and training to ensure that all staff, and subcontractors, working on our schemes meet the high standards we expect.”

Latest News Stories

16:59
Do you know this man? Police want to speak to him urgently (Photo: BTP)

Police are hunting a sex attacker who preyed on two sleeping women on a tube between Camden Town and Finchley Central.

Tulip Siddiq and Keir Starmer (Picture: Polly Hancock)

Camden MPs have written to the Government demanding it tackles the growing refugee crisis in Syria by ‘playing a full part’.

17:00
Konstam Children's Centre in Highgate

A nursery which was failed by Ofsted for putting children’s safety at risk has been hailed for making drastic improvements in just under six months.

Yesterday, 18:05
The aftermath of the fire in Lewis Street, Camden

A cigarette is believed to have caused a fire which destroyed half of a flat in Lewis Street, Camden Town

Most read news

Property Newsletter Sign-up

Get the latest North London property news and features straight to your inbox with our regular newsletter

I am also happy to receive other emails...
Fields marked with a * are mandatory
Email Marketing by e-shot

Competitions

Happy viewing!

MyOffers are giving you that chance to win an amazing Samsung 55” Curve HD TV.

Get ready to take in the beautiful sights of London from above!

Are you always seeking unique ways to see your favourite city? This one is for you.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Hampstead & Highgate Express e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24


Our trusted business finder