Search

Firm guilty of safety breach after St John’s Wood families suffer carbon monoxide poisoning

PUBLISHED: 12:00 08 December 2012 | UPDATED: 11:58 10 December 2012

Apollo Property Services' contractors had covered over a chimney, the court heard

Apollo Property Services' contractors had covered over a chimney, the court heard

PA Wire/Press Association Images

A firm which hired bungling builders who left a boiler pumping deadly carbon monoxide into a flat during a botched renovation is facing an unlimited fine.

Contractors employed by Apollo Property Services covered over a chimney while replacing felt covering on the roof of a block of flats in the Abbey Estate off Abbey Road, St John’s Wood, the Old Bailey heard.

Two families had to be rushed to hospital following the blunder. They believed they were coming down with flu, but within hours two people had collapsed and others were experiencing severe symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The company, registered in Church Street, Waltham Abbey, Essex, denied failing to discharge a duty under the Health and Safety at Work Act to persons not in their employment, but were found guilty following a trial.

Judge John Bevan QC adjourned sentencing on Thursday until December 17 and asked to be provided with a breakdown of the company’s turnover, profits and directors’ salaries. Bosses may also be ordered to pay compensation to the two families.

Apollo was the principle contractor employed to refurbish the Camden Council-owned Exonbury low-rise block on March 17, 2008.

“In simple terms, they covered over where a chimney had been,” prosecutor Claire Harden told the court.

“It was live and it was used by a boiler present in one of the flats. When it was covered the boiler couldn’t work properly. There was nowhere for gases to escape, other than back into the flat.”

One of the residents woke at 1am with a severe headache, collapsing in the kitchen when she went to get some painkillers, the court heard. her husband and son were also affected, but managed to open a window allowing some of the fumes to escape.

Tony Leach, Apollo’s health and safety director, said: “We fully accept the decision of the jury and would like to take this opportunity to apologise unreservedly to the families affected by this incident.

“Safety is our number one priority and this was an isolated incident involving work carried out by a subcontractor operating outside of our approved methods.

“We have carried out a full review of all our procedures and training to ensure that all staff, and subcontractors, working on our schemes meet the high standards we expect.”

Latest Hampstead & Highgate News Stories

09:11

A man has died after a fire broke out in a first floor flat on Brassey Road in West Hampstead.

09:18

Highgate’s historic Prince of Wales pub has temporarily closed for a £250,000 refurbishment but its new manager has moved to allay fears that the traditional boozer will lose its character.

Friday, November 16, 2018

I live in the north west of London in the United Kingdom. Like the rest of the country, I have been looking on in bewilderment at the Brexit deal while politicians on both sides of the house vie for political supremacy. Divisions in government make for good news headlines but do nothing for the public’s confidence in its institutions.

Friday, November 16, 2018

Normally we celebrate one business of the week – but today we’ve got three!

Friday, November 16, 2018

A Routemaster bus will take 72 passengers on a journey through Greek Cypriot history, via Camden and Holloway, on Sunday.

Friday, November 16, 2018

The latest twist in the saga of a Hampstead landlord who refuses to pay a controversial levy saw him bring a top barrister to his court hearing.

Friday, November 16, 2018

Opponents of the 100 Avenue Road development suffered a major blow last night as Camden voted through a controversial plan that will funnel seven lorries a day through residential streets in Swiss Cottage.

Thursday, November 15, 2018

The families left homeless by the fire that destroyed the upper floors of Willow House in East Finchley last week said Barnet Council treated them “like ants to be squashed” in the immediate aftermath of the fire.

PROMOTED CONTENT

Looking to get your child interested in a sport? Allianz Park, home to rugby union team Saracens, welcomes people of all ages to join their family of supporters and discover how their core values Honesty, Discipline, Humility and Work Rate underpin everything they do off and on the pitch.

As part of a major refurb, the London Marriott Hotel Maida Vale has renamed its three new-look function rooms to reflect the geography and rich history of the area. The largest, perfect for weddings and large meetings, is named after a Hampstead subterranean river, The Westbourne.

Londoners seeking high quality houses for sale within easy commuting distance of the capital are being advised to look north to St Albans’ prestigious Gabriel Square development.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read Hampstead & Highgate news

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Hampstead & Highgate Express
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now