Big Brother star Darren Ramsay warns of pressures of acting in fresh appeal for missing Torchwood actor

14:00 15 June 2012

Richard Gent, 28, who has been missing since April 21.

Richard Gent, 28, who has been missing since April 21.


Big Brother star Darren Ramsay has spoken about the gruelling “stresses and pressures” of acting as he launches a fresh appeal to find missing Torchwood actor Richard Gent.

Fears are growing for the safety of 28-year-old Mr Gent, who left his West Hampstead home six weeks ago without his mobile phone and wallet.

He has not been seen since.

As the new series of Big Brother begins, original runner up Darren Ramsay, a close friend of Mr Gent, told of the demands that weigh down on actors.

He said: “Acting and being in the media is a game for the young, as it is a tough world.

“You have to be so thick-skinned. Until you have tried it yourself, year in and year out, it is hard to realise just how much rejection there is as part of the job, and how hard it is to even do the endless audition process that Richard and every actor has to go through.

“Sometimes as an actor, you just need to get away from it all for a bit.”

The Big Brother star, who grew close to Mr Gent while the pair worked together at a call centre in Acton, urged the missing actor to get in touch.

He said: “If he could just see what all his friends, and even people who haven’t met him, are doing to try and know he’s safe.

“We all just want to say to him that whatever the scenario is, that’s fine. We all just want to see him again. He needs to know how many people care about him.”

Mr Gent has played cameo roles in TV dramas including Casualty, Teachers, Mistresses, and hit Dr Who spin-off series Torchwood, as well as the werewolf series Being Human.

But he was struggling with money worries since Christmas.

The 6ft actor, who has dark blond hair and a slight northern accent, was last seen leaving his home in Ravenshaw Street on Saturday April 21.

His family, who had to endure marking the actor’s 28th birthday without him, have contacted all his friends in their desperate search to find him, but have no clue where he is.

Throwing his weight behind the search, Mr Ramsay said: “I just hope that I can help with this to get him to let us know he’s OK. We all just want him back to where he belongs, in Hampstead.”

* If you have any information, please call the police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously 0800 555 111.

Richard is urged to contact the charity Message Home’s confidential service on Freefone 0800 700 740 or email for advice and support


Latest News Stories

DC Carl Ryan, 35, failed to send off vital DNA evidence for analysis, Southwark Crown Court has heard. He allegedly then falsified entries on the police log system between 2010 and 2012. Det Con Kelly Ward, who worked with Ryan in the Camden and Islington branch of the Sapphire Unit, said the workload was “manageable.” When asked about her working relationship with Ryan, she said: “I didn’t enjoy working with him, I worked out quickly I would rather complete my own tasks than rely on Carl to assist me in any way. “I was aware he was struggling at some point during that period, myself and another officer would offer our assistance but it would always be declined.” DC Ward said Ryan would allegedly take on more work, just so he could blame his workload if he was found to have made mistakes or not meeting his deadlines. Ryan has blamed his boss DS Richard King, saying his incompetence was to blame. Asked about their relationship, DC Ward said: “They were close and friendly in the office to the point it made me feel uncomfortable, alienated and isolated within my own team.” Ryan’s lies resulted in the early closure of three serious cases, jurors were told, including that of a woman who had been sexually assaulted at knifepoint. In a fourth case, Ryan allegedly cooked up witness statements of four members of staff at the Whittington Hospital and then signed them in their names. Prosecutor Eloise Marshall has described Ryan as “a believable and manipulative liar”. Ryan, of Cemmaes Court Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, denies six counts of misconduct in a public office. The case continues.

52 minutes ago
Carl Ryan, who is charged with misconduct in a public office, outside court (Picture: Central News)

A Camden-based detective accused of hampering investigations into six sex cases made a female colleague feel “uncomfortable, alienated and isolated”, a court heard.

Patrick Fitzgerald Shaw

A woman who was subjected to repeated violent rapes by a man who threatened to kill her and post sexual images of her online has spoken out to encourage other rape victims to come forward.

The Friends of Parkland Walk has released its own set of Christmas cards, all using images of the leafy nature reserve

These tranquil, snowy scenes look as if they were photographed in the depths of the countryside, rather than in the middle of a capital city.

Yesterday, 17:10
Actresses Juliet Stevenson and Michelle Collins with volunteers and Alexandra's mum Lindsey Wylie from the Alexandra Wylie Tower Foundation (AWTF) launch the Christmas food parcel appeal. Picture: Polly Hancock

A charity is marking the fifth anniversary of a Highgate schoolgirl’s death from cancer with the launch of a Christmas appeal to help children left without support following the closure of Kids Company.

Yesterday, 15:35
Kato Harris will appear at Isleworth Crown Court next Tuesday

This is the first picture of teacher Kato Harris who has appeared in court accused of repeatedly raping an underage girl.

Yesterday, 12:53
Victims of the contaminated blood scandal: (left) Nick Hirsch, (right, from top) Clair Walton and her late husband, Colette Wintle and Mark Ward

Timetable for settlement on NHS scandal has slipped yet again say campaigners - as they wait to see if cash is allocated in chancellor’s autumn spending review

Yesterday, 08:46
The London Fire Brigade has put forward proposals to axe 13 fire engines to save £11million

‘While a new website would be welcome, this should not be done at the cost of frontline cuts’ says fire resources committee chief

Most read news

Property Newsletter Sign-up

Get the latest North London property news and features straight to your inbox with our regular newsletter

I am also happy to receive other emails...
Fields marked with a * are mandatory
Email Marketing by e-shot


Tesco - Every little helps

Would you like to have the opportunity to win a huge £2,500 to spend at Tesco? Well with this amazing prize you can do exactly that! MyOffers are giving you the chance to get your hands on £2,500 to spend on anything you desire may it be free weekly groceries for the foreseeable future, a new TV, home decoration or even a new sofa!

You could get your hands on the new Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge!

Here’s your chance to win one of the most feature-packed smartphones on the planet, from tech giants Samsung, The Samsung S6 Edge!

Digital Edition

Read the Hampstead & Highgate Express e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder